Summer Bridge to The Beach
June 10, 2019 – August 9, 2019
March 31, 2019 @ 11:59 pm
Summer Bridge to The Beach is a 9-week program for incoming Latino and Pell Grant eligible STEM transfer students. In this program, you will attend a one week orientation that includes: a brief introduction to the CSULB campus and student services, research focused trainings (such as lab safety and ethical conduct), and other academic and professional development opportunities. You will be required to attend weekly brown bag meetings throughout the 8 weeks of the program to further connect you and facilitate your transition to the campus. At the conclusion of 8 weeks, you are invited to attend a recognition event where you will give a presentation on your research and experience.
The goal of the program is to provide you with an understanding and appreciation for research, while facilitating your transition to the CSULB campus.
- To increase your ability to apply content and skills learned in the classroom to research
- To increase your understanding of the research process and the notion that science is a creative process that advances further knowledge
- To increase your knowledge of ethical conduct in your field, and
- To increase your ability to interpret results in research and draw conclusions
- Hands-on research with a faculty member in your college
- Build a network and research community with faculty and other students
- Professional development workshops
- Opportunity to travel to a STEM-centered conference
- $ 5,000 stipend
- Transfer student currently enrolled at another 2-year institution
- Acceptance to and enrollment at CSULB
- Declared major in the College of Engineering or the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics once at CSULB
- Hispanic/Latino or Pell Grant eligible
- U.S. Permanent Resident or U.S. Citizen
- Available during program dates
- Committed to participate in an EXCEL learning community during the Fall semester following program participation. Requires enrollment in a one unit course.
Click to Apply
Complete Application Packet includes:
- HSI STEM Summer Bridge to The Beach Online Application (available March 2019)
- Unofficial Transcripts from all schools attended in PDF or Microsoft Word
- Personal Statement (approximately 500 words) addressing the following:
– Top 3 reasons/motivations for selecting a STEM major
– Short and long term career goals
– How the HSI STEM Summer Bridge Program will help you reach your goals
– Academic struggles or challenges and how you overcame them
- 1 – 2 page Resume
- One (1) recommendation form from a professor, lab instructor, or STEM program director. Recommendation must be submitted directly to email@example.com by the deadline.