Summer Bridge to The Beach
Our Response to COVID-19:
Summer Bridge to the Beach 2020 has been cancelled due to campus precautions.
June 8, 2020 – August 7, 2020
May 1, 2020 @ 10 pm
Click to Apply
HSI-STEM is no longer taking applications. Email email@example.com if you have any questions.
For more info, visit it our FAQ Page
Summer Bridge to The Beach is a 9-week program for incoming Latino and Pell Grant eligible STEM transfer students. In this program, you will attend a one week orientation that includes: a brief introduction to the CSULB campus and student services, research focused trainings (such as lab safety and ethical conduct), and other academic and professional development opportunities. You will be required to attend weekly brown bag meetings throughout the 8 weeks of the program to further connect you and facilitate your transition to the campus. At the conclusion of 8 weeks, you are invited to attend a recognition event where you will give a presentation on your research and experience.
The goal of the program is to provide you with an understanding and appreciation for research, while facilitating your transition to the CSULB campus.
- To increase your ability to apply content and skills learned in the classroom to research
- To increase your understanding of the research process and the notion that science is a creative process that advances further knowledge
- To increase your knowledge of ethical conduct in your field, and
- To increase your ability to interpret results in research and draw conclusions
- Hands-on research with a faculty member in your college
- Build a network and research community with faculty and other students
- Professional development workshops
- Opportunity to travel to a STEM-centered conference
- $ 5,000 stipend
- Transfer student currently enrolled at another 2-year institution
- Acceptance to and enrollment at CSULB
- Declared major in the College of Engineering or the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics once at CSULB
- Hispanic/Latino or Pell Grant eligible
- U.S. Permanent Resident or U.S. Citizen
- Available during program dates
- Committed to participate in an EXCEL learning community during the Fall semester following program participation. Requires enrollment in a one unit course.
Click to Apply
Application is now closed
Your Application Packet MUST include:
- HSI STEM Summer Bridge to The Beach Online Application (available January 2020)
- Unofficial Transcripts from ALL academic institutions in PDF Format preferred. Screen shots, jpegs, pngs transcripts must be legible. HSI Team will verify academic grades.
- Personal Statement (500 words) that MUST address the following:
- Top 3 reasons/motivations for selecting a STEM major
- Short and long term career goals
- How the HSI STEM Summer Bridge Program will help you reach your goals
- Academic struggles or challenges and how you overcame them
- 1 – 2 page Resume
- One (1) Recommendation Form from a STEM professor, lab instructor, or STEM program director/coordinator only. Recommendation Form MUST be submitted by recommender directly to firstname.lastname@example.org by the May 1st deadline.
- One (1) Letter of Recommendation (300 words) from the same STEM professor, lab instructor, or STEM program director/coordinator who completes the Recommendation Form. The Letter Of Recommendation MUST be submitted by recommender directly to email@example.com by the May 1, 2020 deadline and MUST address the following:
- Detail the student’s personal and academic strengths, personality characteristics, areas for improvement that would impact the program
- Discuss the student’s potential for success as both a research student and a STEM student at CSULB
- Share other points of interest about the student that would help us understand how we can adapt the program to meet his/her needs
- Review your Application Packet CAREFULLY! You must honor ALL requirements and deadlines in order for you to be considered for the program.