Summer Bridge to The Beach
Summer Bridge to The Beach Research Exploration is a 9-week program for incoming Latino and Pell Grant eligible STEM transfer students. Participating students will attend a one week orientation that includes: an introduction to research at The Beach and to your STEM Community.
Additionally, students will attend weekly workshops that cover other academic and professional development opportunities to further connect you and facilitate your transition to the campus.
June 13, 2022 – August 12, 2022
April 29, 2022 @ 5:00 pm
For more info, visit it our FAQ Page
The goal of the program is to provide you with an understanding and appreciation for research, while encouraging your transition to other campus research opportunities.
- To increase your ability to apply content and skills learned in the classroom to research
- To increase your understanding of the research process and the notion that science is a creative process that advances further knowledge
- To increase your knowledge of ethical conduct in your field, and
- To increase your ability to interpret results in research and draw conclusions
- Hands-on research with a faculty member in your college based on PI preference and project
- Build a network and research community with faculty and other students
- Professional and research career development workshops
- $ 5,000 stipend (paid in installments through Summer)
- 2.8 GPA or above, Good Academic Standing(Preferred)
- Transfer student currently enrolled at another 2-year institution
- Acceptance to and enrollment at CSULB
- Declared major in the College of Engineering or the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics once at CSULB
- Pell Grant eligible or Hispanic/Latino
- U.S. Permanent Resident or U.S. Citizen
- Available during program dates
- Recommended participation in an EXCEL learning community during the Fall semester following program participation. Requires enrollment in a one unit course.
Applications are closed
Our Application Packet MUST include:
- HSI STEM Summer Bridge to The Beach Online Application (open beginning March 14, 2022)
- Unofficial Transcripts from ALL academic institutions in PDF Format ONLY.
- Personal Statement (5 paragraph essay, 2 page maximum) each paragraph MUST meet 100 word minimum requirement and address the following:
- Paragraph 1: Introduce yourself and share your top 3 reasons/motivations for selecting a STEM major.
- Paragraph 2: Describe your short and long term career goals.
- Paragraph 3: Explain how the Summer Bridge to The Beach Program will help you reach these goals.
- Paragraph 4: Discuss your academic struggles or challenges, especially during virtual learning, and how you overcame them.
- Paragraph 5: Conclude with a summary of the previous paragraphs, adding anything else about you as a potential research scholar.
- 1 – 2 page Resume
- One (1) Recommendation Form from a STEM professor, lab instructor, or STEM program director/coordinator only. Recommendation Form MUST be submitted directly to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
- One (1) Letter of Recommendation (300 word maximum) from the SAME STEM professor, lab instructor, or STEM program director/coordinator who completes the Recommendation Form. LOR MUST be submitted directly to email@example.com by the deadline and MUST address the following:
- Detail the student’s personal and academic strengths, personality characteristics, areas for improvement that would impact the program.
- Discuss the student’s potential for success as both a research student and a STEM student at CSULB.
- Share other points of interest about the student that would help us understand how we can adapt the program to meet his/her needs.
- Application is due on or before Friday, April 29 by 5pm.
- Review your Application Packet CAREFULLY! You must honor ALL requirements and deadlines in order for you to be considered for the program.
SBB selection has become increasingly competitive. You are encouraged to gather all your application materials early and submit your application as soon as possible.