EXCEL & Summer Peer Mentor Opportunities
Become a Peer Mentor for STEM students in their first year at CSULB. Help students succeed at CSULB!
The Excellence through a Community of Engaged Learners (EXCEL) program provides mentoring and tutoring through a learning community in the colleges of Natural Sciences and Mathematics (CNSM) and Engineering (COE) at California State University, Long Beach. The EXCEL Peer Mentor position offers STEM upper division students a paid opportunity to serve as ambassadors of their college by mentoring and tutoring STEM freshmen and transfer students during the academic year, and participate in the planning and implementation of other student and family events.
The various services provided by EXCEL, in combination with the support of our peer mentors & tutors, will help increase the academic success and professional development of freshmen and transfer students; thus, achieving the goal set out by the HSI STEM grant.
To Join the EXCEL team, see information below:
- Declared majors in COE of CNSM ONLY
- Desire to mentor & represent your college
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA preferred
- Ability to tutor upper & lower division courses in your college
- Ability to commit to the position for the 2020-2021 academic year
- Complete at least 60 (CNSM) or 90 (COE) units by the end of Spring 2020
- Attend paid training in Summer 2020 & Spring 2021
- Assist with programs:
- HSI-STEM Events
- HSI-STEM Workshops
- HSI-STEM Presentations
- Receive training in academic mentoring and tutoring techniques
- Receive training in growth mindset, communication, group dynamics, and leadership skills
- Utilize the acquired skills in outreach and designated activities to further your strength as a candidate
- Create connections with students, staff, faculty, administrators, and industry members
- Maintain skills in subject matter through tutoring
Rate of Pay
*10 hours avg
Click to Apply
Deadlines: will vary depending on college
CNSM Submission deadline: Not taking applications at this moment
COE Submission deadline: Until positions are filled. Interviews currently being scheduled. Apply today!
For questions, please contact: