STEP Into Stem
Student Transition for Enrichment and Performance into Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math
STEP into STEM is a two-week program for first-time freshmen to familiarize themselves with the social and academic expectations of college, increase preparation and confidence in mathematics, learn to navigate the CSULB campus, and build a network of STEM peers, faculty, and staff.
To enrich students’ mathematical skills and facilitate their transition to their STEM major at CSULB.
Program Objectives & Benefits
- improve their mathematics skills using ALEKS placement software facilitated by a math instructor
- learn about academic expectations, campus resources and services at CSULB.
- engage in academic preparation and professional development opportunities related to their STEM degree.
- network and build camaraderie with fellow peers, mentors, faculty, and staff within various departments related to STEM.
- be guaranteed admission into the EXCEL Learning Community that will provide academic and social support.
Summer 2018: July 9th – July 19th
Mandatory Orientation: Saturday, June 23rd
- Incoming freshman enrolling Fall 2018 at CSULB must submit “intent to matriculate”
- Be a pre-major in the College of Engineering or the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
- Has not completed any ALEKS mathematics modules
- Build a network and STEM community with peers, faculty, and staff
- Engage in professional development opportunities
- Enhance your academic preparation
- Familiarize yourself with campus resources and services
- Guaranteed admission to the EXCEL Learning Community
- Should not complete any ALEKS mathematics modules (completion of ALEKS is part of program)
- Participate in the STEP into STEM Summer program for the full 2-weeks
- Attend mandatory orientation with parent or legal guardian
- Commit to participate in the EXCEL Learning Community class during your freshman year (more information at SOAR)
How to Apply:
Prepare to write one short paragraph on the following 2 questions:
- What do you hope to gain by participating in the STEP into STEM program?
- What are your career goals?
- One copy of your high school transcripts
- One Recommendation Form (highly encouraged, but not mandatory)
- A recommendation form completed by your math teacher or school counselor is highly encouraged but not mandatory
- Download the form here
- Your recommender can email the form directly to HSI-STEM@csulb.edu
- Complete online application (available March 2018)
- Due: April 21st