STEP into STEM
Summer Math Transition Program
STEP into STEM is a two-week program for first-time freshmen to familiarize themselves with the social and academic expectations of college, increase preparation and confidence in mathematics, learn to navigate the CSULB campus, and build a network of STEM peers, faculty, and staff.
To enrich students’ mathematical skills and facilitate their transition to their STEM major at CSULB.
Program Objectives & Benefits
- complete their mathematics placement using ALEKS, facilitated by a math instructor.
- learn about academic expectations, campus resources and services at CSULB.
- engage in academic preparation and professional development opportunities related to their STEM degree.
- network and build camaraderie with fellow peers, mentors, faculty, and staff within various departments related to STEM.
- be guaranteed admission into the EXCEL Learning Community that will provide academic and social support.
Summer 2018: July 9th – July 19th, 2018 , Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 3:00pm
Mandatory Orientation: Saturday, June 23rd
- Incoming freshman enrolling Fall 2018 at CSULB (must submit intent to matriculate by May 1st, 2018)
- Be a pre-major in the College of Engineering or the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
- Placement in pre-calculus and trigonometry or calculus 1 (for more information on math placement http://web.csulb.edu/colleges/cnsm/sas/orientation/math-placement.html)
- Register to participate in SOAR in July or August (no June dates)
How to Apply:
- Complete online application
- Prepare to write one short paragraph on the following 2 questions:
- What do you hope to gain by participating in the STEP into STEM program?
- What are your career goals?
- One copy of your high school transcripts
- One Recommendation Form (highly encouraged, but not mandatory)
Application Deadline: May 13, 2018 at 11:59pm
Deadline has been extended to May 20, 2018 at 11:59 pm
- Commit to participate in the STEP into STEM Summer program for the full 2-weeks
- Attend mandatory orientation with parent or legal guardian on June 23rd, 2018
- Register for SOAR date in July or August
- Participate in the EXCEL Learning Community class during your freshman year (more information at SOAR)