STEP into STEM
Summer Math Transition Program
Application will close soon, Apply Today!
STEP into STEM is a two-week commuter program for first-time freshmen to familiarize themselves with the social and academic expectations of college, increase preparation and confidence in mathematics, learn to navigate the CSULB campus, and build a network of STEM peers, faculty, and staff.
Students will work with a mentor, learn about the various campus resources & earn one (1) unit of college credit (ESM-100) at CSULB.
To enrich students’ mathematical skills and facilitate their transition to their STEM major at CSULB.
Program Objectives & Benefits
- Complete their mathematics placement using ALEKS, facilitated by a math instructor.
- Receive one unit of college credit (ESM-100) for successfully passing the class.
- Learn about academic expectations, campus resources and services at CSULB.
- Engage in academic preparation and professional development opportunities related to their STEM degree.
- Network and build camaraderie with fellow peers, mentors, faculty, and staff within various departments related to STEM.
- Have the opportunity to participate in the STEM EXCEL Learning Community Fall 2019 & Spring 2020.
July, 8 – July 19, 2019
- Incoming freshman enrolling Fall 2019 at CSULB (must submit intent to matriculate by May 1st, 2019)
- Pre-major in the College of Engineering or the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics OR Undeclared with an interest in declaring a STEM major
How to Apply:
- Complete online application
- Prepare to write one short paragraph on the following questions:
- Why did you choose your major? What are your career goals?
- What do you hope to gain by participating in the STEP into STEM program?
- One copy of your unofficial high school transcripts (does not need to include senior year grades)
- One Recommendation Form (highly encouraged, but not mandatory)
Click to Apply
- Commit to participate in the STEP into STEM Summer program for the full 2-weeks
- Register for the HSI-STEM Early Start Math 100 Class (Instructions sent seperately)
- Attend mandatory orientation with parent or legal guardian on June 22, 2019
- Opportunity to participate in the EXCEL Learning Community class during your freshman year (more information at SOAR)