Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics

Injury Response Procedures for CNSM Student

Student Injury/Illness Procedures

If a student is seriously injured or ill in your teaching laboratory and needs medical assistance please follow the procedure below. If a student has a minor injury the most treatment we are allowed is to provide a bandage. The student should always be referred to Student Health Services (SHS) for professional evaluation. Injured students should be informed that they are responsible for all medical costs incurred through treatment at any location other than the SHS. This includes treatment sought for severe injuries (necessitating off-campus treatment) or injuries that occur when the SHS is closed; EVEN IF THE STUDENT WAS INJURED IN CLASS. Please inform your students that supplemental medical insurance is available through the Associated Students.

Please note: If the injured person is an employee of either the University or the Foundation and the injury is work-related, different procedures must be followed. The injured employee must immediately contact their supervisor and John de la Cuesta x-55623 of the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics Safety Office. The Safety Office personnel will guide the employee through the correct procedures and obtain medical help.

  1. Get Help - Dial 911 FROM ANY OFFICE PHONE or use one of the special CSULB emergency phone boxes which are strategically located throughout campus and inside buildings. These are direct lines to CSULB Public Safety. Give them as much information as possible.
  2. Student Health Services - Student Health Services is used for the student's initial treatment when possible. If the student needs to be transported to the SHC or elsewhere, campus Public Safety will make the arrangements.
  3. Blood - If anyone is injured and any blood or human body fluids are involved, please notify the CNSM Safety Office (X5-5623) or Campus EH&S (X5-2283). Certain protocols should be followed anytime anyone is exposed to human body fluids. College Safety personnel have received special training in the handling and clean-up of infectious materials and are the only CNSM personnel who should clean-up a spill of that nature.
  4. Reporting - The supervisor in charge of the area must file an Incident Report. These forms are available in department offices, the CNSM Safety Office and the CNSM Safety Office website. Do not have the injured student fill out the Incident Report; the lab supervisor is required to complete the report. Get help from department administration or the CNSM Safety Office if necessary. Turn in the completed form to CNSM Safety.