Jensen SAS Center
Services We Offer
The James L. Jensen Student Access to Science and Math Center (also known as the Jensen SAS Center) is part of the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics (CNSM) at California State University, Long Beach. We offer a wide range of services, programs, and resources designed to support all science and math students as they work toward their academic and professional goals.
The Jensen SAS Center is committed to meeting students' needs by offering individual tutoring and mentoring, academic and career workshops, and resources designed to encourage student success.
2017-2018 Peer Mentors
The application to be a 2017-2018 Peer Mentor is now available. Peer Mentors serve as ambassadors of their college by mentoring and tutoring STEM freshmen and transfer students during the academic year, and participate in the planning and implementation of other student and family events. Learn more about applying to be a Peer Mentor.
The Spring 2017 tutoring schedules are now available:
- CNSM Peer Mentor Tutoring Schedule: tutoring in multiple disciplines
- Physics Learning Assistants Tutoring Schedule: physics-focused tutoring
With a referral from their academic advisor, CNSM students are able to partake in one-on-one tutoring and mentoring with a CNSM Peer Mentor free of charge. For a minimum of 6 hours a semester, students will have each meeting tailored to their specific needs including private tutoring for CNSM courses, guidance on note-taking and study skills, advice on getting involved on campus, and personalized mentoring.
The G2 Computer Lab is open to undergraduate and graduate students in the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. The CNSM G2 Computer Lab is designed specifically to allow CNSM students improved access to cutting edge technology and its additional resources to aid in the progression of their educational and professional development. Visit G2 Computer Lab to discover their hours and location and to learn more about the services and software available.
The Health Professions Advising Office (HPAO) provides a wide range of advising and support services designed to meet the needs of CSULB students as they navigate through the often-complex process of preparation and application to professional school. HPAO serves students interested in pursuing graduate level health professions including medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, optometry, veterinary, and physician assistant. Visit Health Professions Advising Office to learn about the extensive services and resources available to students at the Beach.
The College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics is home to a number of undergraduate research training programs through the National Institute of Health and National Science Foundation. Each program serves a unique population of students and offers participating students extensive access to faculty and research labs while providing a stipend.
Applications for 2017-2018
Applications are now being accepted for the MARC U*STAR, Bridges to the Baccalaureate, and LSAMP research training programs. More information about the applicant requirements, selection criteria, and program descriptions is available below.
- Bridges to Baccalaureate Program: a summer program providing hands-on research experience to students at Cerritos College and Long Beach City College.
- LSAMP: a research program which features a summer calculus workshop to prepare students for success in their math courses, a summer re search program offered in conjunction with the Bridges program, and the year-long Research Fellows Programs partnering traditionally underserved students with faculty mentors and research lab paid experience.
- MARC U*STAR: a training program for undergraduate students seeking careers in biomedical research.
The Jensen SAS Center offers free workshops for any student interested in building their academic and professional skills. The topics for this semester include:
- public speaking skill development
- digital resources for academic success
- volunteer opportunities
- career preparation and panels
Visit CNSM BeachSync to see the dates and to RSVP.