Summer SOAR Guidance for Incoming CNSM Freshmen
For Incoming 2022 Science and Math Freshmen (First-Time, First-Year Students)
Welcome to California State University, Long Beach and the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics (CNSM)! We are excited to help you achieve a smooth and successful start to your college career.
Please note: the following information is for incoming freshmen (first-time, first year students) who are majoring in science or math. Incoming freshmen from other majors can find their college's advising resources on SOAR's Advising and Registration. Incoming CNSM transfer students should instead read Summer SOAR Guidance for Incoming CNSM Transfers.
Info Session Webinars
Please mark your calendar to attend the live Zoom sessions hosted by our college and departmental programs.
- June 28 - CNSM Freshmen Scholars Learning Communities. 3:30pm-4:30pm.
SOAR Experience Overview
The SOAR Experience consists of two processes:
- Orientation Process is led by Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration (SOAR).
- Advising and Registration Process is led by the CNSM Academic Advising Team.
Your Orientation and Class Registration dates are linked: when you register for SOAR Orientation Workshop (on campus), you are assigned the corresponding Class Registration date (online).
|If your Orientation is on this date:||Your Class Registration for Fall 2022 is on this date:|
|July 25||July 28|
|July 26||July 29|
|July 28||August 1|
|July 29||August 2|
|August 1||August 3|
|August 2||August 4|
|August 3||August 5|
|August 3||August 8|
|August 4||August 9|
|August 4||August 10|
|August 5||August 11|
|August 9||August 11|
Note: Orientation is held on campus. Class Registration is conducted online; on-campus assistance with registration can be provided upon request.
Steps to Start Your Journey
- Accept your Admission by submitting your Intent to Enroll and Enrollment Deposit by May 1. Visit your MyCSULB Student Portal via Single Sign-On (SSO) to get started.
- Check your BeachMail and personal email accounts on a regular basis for directions and announcements. See: How to Check BeachMail.
- Begin mathematics class placement as soon as possible. ALEKS Mathematics Placement will become available on your Single Sign-On (SSO) once you submit your Intent to Enroll and Enrollment Deposit.
- Begin chemistry class placement. Chemistry placement resources will become available on May 1.
- Make a reservation for your linked On-Campus Orientation Workshop and Class Registration Dates by June 1.
- Complete your online academic advising course or attend one of the CNSM Freshmen Academic Advising on-campus workshops. Registration for advising workshops will become available on June 1. Academic advising must be completed by July 15.
- Complete the CNSM Freshman Academic Advising Survey no later than July 15.
- Fulfill your Orientation Process. Learn more about this step by visiting SOAR Orientation. This must be completed before enrolling in classes.
- Complete the Advising and Registration Process. You will be receiving an invitation to sign up for an advising appointment on your registration date, either online or on campus. This is your time to ask questions about placement, fall schedule, and registration help.
Please read the following information:
All CNSM students must have their Math Placement (via ALEKS Mathematics Placement) and Chemistry Placement (via CHEM ALEKS) completed prior to their Academic Advising and Class Registration date. In some cases, you may need to complete ALEKS Mathematics Placement before starting your CHEM ALEKS.
Please carefully read the placement information BEFORE registering for SOAR.
ALEKS assessments for Math and Chemistry are due July 15.
For more information, please see:
If you are required or recommended to attend Early Start Mathematics (ESM), you may be exempted from ESM requirement if you complete all 4 ALEKS Mathematics Placement modules and score 60 or above on at least one of the assessments.
For more information, please see Math Placement for Incoming CNSM Freshmen.
All CNSM Freshmen must complete the Advising Survey to report AP scores, test scores, transfer credit, and other information that will pertain to your Fall 2022 schedule. Please complete the survey by July 15.
CNSM Freshmen Advising Survey (available starting June 1)
All new students are required to complete the SOAR and Advising Online Course on Beachboard. Course will go live on June 1. Check your email for future announcements regarding the course.
The following information may also be helpful:
If you are an incoming student that was admitted in Science, Math, Engineering, Environmental Science & Policy, or Nursing, you are eligible to switch to a CNSM Pre-major. Please complete the CNSM Freshmen Major Change request form.
If you were not admitted as one of the majors listed above, you are not eligible to switch to a CNSM Pre-major at this time. If you have an interest in exploring majors in science and mathematics, please contact the University Center for Undergraduate Advising to switch to Undeclared.
If you were admitted as a science or math major and would like to switch to another major outside of CNSM, please contact the advising center for your new major. If you are interested in switching to Pre-Nursing, please switch to undeclared through the University Center for Undergraduate Advising.
If you missed your on-campus Orientation workshop, contact SOAR immediately to reschedule for the next available workshop. Call 562.985.5515 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will register for your recommended classes on your scheduled Class Registration date. If you missed your date, contact CNSMemail@example.com for assistance within 5 days of your enrollment date.
The Bob Murphy Access Center (BMAC) provides support to students with disabilities through accommodations and services, including but not limited to sign language interpreters, real-time captioners, assistive technology, and alternative media.
Complete the SOAR-BMAC Disability-Related Accommodations Form to request your needed accommodations/services. If you have additional questions, please visit the BMAC website, call 562.985.5401, or email BMAC@csulb.edu.
Check your personal email and your new CSULB email for updates and read the information below so you understand the full process.
- Tuition and Fees Deadlines
- Immunization Requirements Deadlines
- Beach Central (Enrollment Services)
- Financial Aid
- ATS Help Desk (tech support for BeachBoard, BeachMail, and MyApps)
Contact CNSM Academic Advising Center, CNSM-Advising@csulb.edu.