Tutoring in Math and Science
There are multiple centers on campus that tutor courses offered by the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics:
- SAS Peer Mentors offers tutoring in science and math
- Physics Learning Assistants offers tutoring focused on physics and math
- Lingren Math Tutoring Center focuses on math
- Learning Assistance Center offers tutoring in lower-division science and math courses.
Reasons for Receiving Tutoring
You can seek out tutoring for a variety of reasons:
- review before a test
- review exam results and missed homework problems
- gain study skills and time management strategies
- overcome struggling with a particular concept or problem
- build your confidence in a subject matter
- stay on top of your homework and study routine.
Types of Tutoring
Tutoring can take different forms:
- coming to the tutoring center with a set of question you need assistance with
- studying in the tutoring center and ask a tutor questions as they arise
- "teaching" the tutor what you have learned and have them review your knowledge
- having a tutor quiz you before test
- visiting the center with a group of friends and inviting the tutor to help with any problem areas.
- ask your academic advisor about individual tutoring if you would like an assigned Peer Mentor
Benefits of Tutoring
You can benefit from tutoring in a number of ways:
- increase your confidence in a particular subject matter as well as in your academic skills
- build connections with upperclass students and classmates
- increase your opportunity for success in forthcoming courses
- learn new study and problem-solving strategies.