Apply to Be a Peer Mentor
Application Deadline: March 26, 2019.
The Excellence through a Community of Engaged Learners (EXCEL) program provides mentoring and tutoring through a learning community in the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics (CNSM) and College of Engineering (COE) at California State University Long Beach. The EXCEL Peer Mentor position offers STEM upper division students a paid opportunity to serve as ambassadors of their college by mentoring and tutoring STEM freshmen and transfer students during the academic year, and participate in the planning and implementation of other student and family events.
The EXCEL Peer Mentor program is a joint initiative between CNSM, COE and HSI-STEM. The CNSM EXCEL Peer Mentors will specifically work with science and math students in the Jensen SAS Center with the support of COE and HSI-STEM. The various services provided by EXCEL, in combination with the support of our peer mentors and tutors, will help increase the academic success and professional development of freshmen and transfer students.
If you are interested in becoming a Peer Mentor and Tutor for STEM Excellence through a Community of Engaged Learners (EXCEL), please review the eligibility requirements below.
Information sessions are available to learn more about the position and the application process to be a Peer Mentor. You will get a chance to hear from current Peer Mentors about their experience in the position.
- February 28 from 12:00pm-1:00pm in USU-305
- March 13 from 12:00pm-1:00pm in PH1-127
- March 14 from 12:00pm-1:00pm in USU-304
- Declared undergraduate CNSM and Environmental Sciences and Policy B.S. students ONLY.
- 3.0 GPA preferred.
- Have completed at least 60 units by end of Spring 2019 semester, AND be at least Junior status.
- Able to tutor STEM courses.
- Interest in mentoring freshmen and transfer students.
- Desire to serve as an ambassador of the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics.
- One year commitment.
- Serve as the Peer Mentor in a first-year student success course.
- Assist with program:
- Recruitment efforts
- Receive training in growth mindset, communication, group dynamics, and leadership skills.
- Utilize the acquired skills in outreach and designated activities.
- Create connections with students, staff, faculty, administrators, and industry members.
- Receive training in academic mentoring and tutoring techniques.
- Maintain skills in subject matter through tutoring.
Rate of Pay
EXCEL Peer Mentor Application - Application Deadline: March 26, 2019.
To apply for this position, please fill out an application.