College of Engineering
Civil Engineering and Construction Engineering Management Graduate Programs
Master of Science in Civil Engineering
- A bachelor’s degree in an accredited curriculum in civil engineering; or
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering, a natural science or other appropriate discipline with the requirement that essential undergraduate prerequisites in civil engineering be satisfied with a minimum GPA of 2.7 in the last 60 semester units attempted;
- Graduate students must consult with the graduate advisor for information concerning procedures and requirements for appropriate approval of their courses of study prior to enrolling in their graduate programs.
Advancement to Candidacy
- Removal of all undergraduate deficiencies as determined by the Department Graduate Studies Committee;
- Completion of at least 12 graduate units at CSULB; minimum GPA of 3.0; currently enrolled;
- Fulfillment of the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR).
Completion of a minimum of 30 units beyond the bachelor’s degree and graduate coursework as follows:
- A minimum of 24 units in engineering, probability and statistics and mathematics courses with 18 units of 500-/600-level courses in Civil Engineering. Within these 18 units a student may include six units of CE 698 or three units of CE 697; Students are required to complete successfully either CE 697 or CE 698;
- Six units of electives selected from approved upper-division or graduate courses in appropriate subjects;
- Fulfill one of the following alternatives:
- Write and present orally a thesis to be approved by the thesis committee;
- Pass a written comprehensive examination on coursework in the student’s program.
Civil Engineer Degree (code CE__CE01)
The program leading to the Civil Engineer degree offers the qualified student professionally oriented courses with greater concentration in civil engineering than is required by the master of science in civil engineering. This program encourages appropriate advanced studies in other disciplines of the University.
- 1. A master of science degree in civil engineering from an accredited institution with a minimum GPA of 3.5; or
- 2. A bachelor of science degree in civil engineering from an accredited institution with a minimum GPA of 3.0; or
- 3. A bachelor of science degree in engineering, mathematics, physical sciences or other appropriate disciplines from an accredited institution with a minimum GPA of 3.0 with the requirement that essential undergraduate prerequisites in civil engineering will be satisfied prior to commencing the student’s civil engineering degree program;
- 4. The graduate student must consult with the graduate advisor and Civil Engineering graduate brochure for information concerning departmental procedures and requirements and for appropriate approvals of the course of study prior to enrolling in courses in the student’s graduate program.
Exceptional cases not meeting the above minimum GPA may be considered by the Department Graduate Studies Committee.
Advancement to Candidacy
- 1. A Department Graduate Studies Committee, consisting of the graduate student’s advisor and at least two other faculty members, will be responsible for the formulation and supervision of each individual graduate student’s program;
- 2. The committee shall determine candidacy admission, and requirements as to removal of undergraduate and/or graduate prerequisite deficiencies;
- 3. Prior to determining advancement requirements the committee may, at its discretion, require the student to take an examination in the chosen area.
- 1. Completion of a minimum of 60 units beyond the bachelor’s degree and graduate courses, approved by the student’s Department Graduate Studies Committee including:
- A. A minimum of 36 units of 500- and 600-level civil engineering courses including a thesis of nine units to be written and presented orally;
- B. Twenty-four units of 400-, 500- and 600-level approved electives.
- 2. No more than 30 units completed before advancement to candidacy may be used in completing the requirements for the CE degree.