Division ID
Skip links
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a font sizeSmall fontMedium fontLarge font


Academic Information and Regulations

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Students ask many of the following questions about the processes and rules of CSULB. Successful students know the answers to these frequently asked questions. Please read them carefully. Knowing these answers can help you avoid pitfalls during your first semesters on campus. For further information, see this section of the Catalog or contact the Academic Advising Center at (562) 985-4837.

1. Why is it critical that I check e-mail from CSULB? It is important to check your e-mail regularly since this is the primary means by which you will receive important information from the university (e.g., deadlines for adding and dropping classes, your registration appointment date).

2. How do I tell the university about a change in my e-mail address or mailing address? You can use MyCSULB to change your e-mail address, indicate the e-mail address that you prefer to use, or change your mailing address. Click on "Personal Profile" to view your current information and to make changes.

3. Why should I check my official class schedule at the beginning of each semester and again after two or three weeks? It is important to make sure that you are officially enrolled in every class you are attending, and not enrolled in any class you are not attending. Remember that an instructor can give you permission to add a class, but only you can officially enroll you in a class (or drop yourself from a class).

4. Why is it important that I personally drop classes that I have registered for but am no longer attending? Instructors do not have the responsibility to drop students. Students must drop classes they no longer want or never attended (using MyCSULB or IVR) up to and during the first two (2) weeks of the semester.

Beginning the third week, students must use the official withdrawal form to change their schedule. (See the section on Withdrawals for the rules that apply to withdrawal after the third week of classes.)

Official withdrawal is indicated on the transcript with the symbol “W.” This designation does not affect grade point average (GPA). Students who fail to withdraw officially within the established deadline receive a “WU” symbol (unauthorized withdrawal).

In the calculation of the GPA, a “WU” is counted as an “F” grade.

5. Can freshmen/sophomore students take upper-division (300-499) classes? University policy prohibits students with under 30 units from taking upper-division courses without permission of the instructor.

6. What can I do if I get a “D” or “F” or “WU” in a course? The University has a “repeat/delete” policy which allows undergraduates to repeat a course in which you earned a "D", "F", or "WU". If the second grade is a C or better, the second grade will be used to calculate your GPA. Both grades remain on the transcript, but the first one is "deleted" from the GPA calculation. This can only be done once per course at CSULB. If you don't earn a C or better on the second try, all grades will be counted. For further details, refer to the "Repetion of Courses for Satisfactory Grade" in this section of the Catalog.