Please start with the “Application Process” page before proceeding with instructions on this page. Requirements, supplementary materials, and deadlines vary by program.
Graduate Student Audition Date
For admission to Spring 2019 Semester
- Date TBA.
A performance audition is required for acceptance into the degree programs of the Bob Cole Conservatory of Music. Prospective students should schedule a music auditon before you receive notification of your acceptance into the university. All entering students who have been admitted to the university are required to pass a performance audition and take a theory placement examination.
Students wishing to audition should prepare solo, etude, or art song material from the standard repertoire of approximately 10 minutes in length. The selection(s) should demonstrate both technical and lyrical skills. For specific audition requirements, including prescreening where required, please see table below.
|Program||Graduate Audition Requirements||Area Director|
|Brass||Please contact your area director for more info.||Rob Frear firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Vocal and Opera||Voice voice_grad.pdf||David Anglin email@example.com|
|Conducting (Choral)||choral_conducting_grad.pdf||Jonathan Talberg firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Conducting (Orchestral)||orchestral_conducting_grad.pdf||Johannes Müller Stosch email@example.com|
|Conducting (Winds)||Please contact your area director for more info.||John Carnahan firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Composition||No audition required; please visit the Composition Studies area for application requrements.||Alan Shockley email@example.com|
**Prescreening audition required**; please follow the audition instructions in each document carefully.
|Instrumental—Jeff Jarvis firstname.lastname@example.org
Vocal—Christine Guter email@example.com
**Prescreening audition required**; please visit the Keyboard Auditions page for additional instructions.
|Shun-Lin Chou firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Music Education||No audition required; please visit the Music Education area for application requrements.||Dan Zanutto email@example.com|
|Music History||No audition required; please visit the Music History area for application requrements.||Alicia Doyle firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Percussion||Percussion percussion_grad.pdf||Ted Atkatz email@example.com|
Note: If you wish to audition with a different set of pieces, please email Moni Simeonov firstname.lastname@example.org
For other instruments, please contact your area director for more info.
|Jermie Arnold email@example.com|
Graduate Audition Day and Open House
The following timeline is a sample Graduate Audition day.
12:00pm Daniel Recital Hall Lobby
Welcome and Orientation
12:30pm Daniel Recital Hall
(Johannes Müller-Stosch, chair; Alexander Miller/Alicia Doyle, Graduate Advisors)
Audition times will be assigned by the graduate advisor and sent via email.
Ensembles to Visit
- University Orchestra, Johannes Müller-Stosch, 1:00pm-2:45pm, Room UMC-A311
- CJO (Concert Jazz Orchestra), Jeff Jarvis, 12:00pm-12:50pm, Room UMC-A307
- Percussion Ensemble, Ted Atkatz, 3:00pm-5:30pm, Room UMC-A311
- Chamber Choir, Jonathan Talberg, 1:00pm-2:50pm, Room UMC-A301
Classes to Visit
- Flute Masterclass, John Barcellona, 3:00pm-5:00pm, Room UMC-C100
- Piano Forum, Shun-Lin Chou, 3:00pm-4:00pm, Room UMC-A506
- Graduate Composition Workshop, Alexander Miller, 5:00pm-6:50pm, Room UMC-C403
- French Diction, David Anglin, 4:00pm-4:50pm, Room UMC-C403
- Brass Orchestral Lit, Rob Frear, 3:00pm-4:50pm, Room UMC–A307
- Opera Rehearsal, David Angin / Brian Farrell, 7:00pm-9:00pm, Room UMC-A301 / A504
- Steel Drum Orchestra, Dave Gerhart, 7:00pm-9:45pm, Room UMC-A311