STEM EXCEL Mentor and Tutor Opportunity
The Excellence through a Community of Engaged Learners (EXCEL) program provides mentoring and tutoring through a learning community in the colleges of Natural Sciences and Mathematics (CNSM) and Engineering (COE) at California State University, Long Beach. The EXCEL Peer Mentor position offers STEM upper division students a paid opportunity to serve as ambassadors of their college by mentoring and tutoring STEM freshmen and transfer students during the academic year, and participate in the planning and implementation of other student and family events.
The various services provided by EXCEL, in combination with the support of our peer mentors & tutors, will help increase the academic success and professional development of freshmen and transfer students; thus, achieving the goal set out by the HSI STEM grant.
If you are interested in becoming a Peer Mentor & Tutor for STEM Excellence through a Community of Engaged Learners (EXCEL), please review the eligibility requirements below.
- Declared undergraduate STEM majors ONLY
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Have completed at least 60 units by end of Spring 2017 semester, AND be at least Junior status
- Able to tutor STEM courses
- Interest in mentoring freshmen and transfer students
- Desire to serve as an ambassador of the College of Engineering and/or College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
- One year commitment
- Assist with program:
- Recruitment efforts
- Receive training in growth mindset, communication, group dynamics, and leadership skills
- Utilize the acquired skills in outreach and designated activities
- Create connections with students, staff, faculty, administrators, and industry members
- Receive training in academic mentoring and tutoring techniques
- Maintain skills in subject matter through tutoring
Rate of Pay
To apply for this position, please fill out an application.
Thursday, April 20, 2017