Fee To Lead 49er Athletics

Published: May 8, 2017

Following a nationwide search, Long Beach State University President Jane Close Conoley announced she has named Andy Fee to head CSULB’s Department of Athletics. Fee will replace Vic Cegles who departed last May. Since then, long-time athletics administrator Cindy Masner has been serving as the interim athletics director.

“Andy brings a wealth of experience and energy to Long Beach State,” said Conoley. “His vision for the future of our athletics program provides me confidence that he will build on the many successes we have had over the years and he will take our student-athletes to the next level, athletically and academically.”

Fee comes from the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB) where he spent seven years as the Intercollegiate Athletics Deputy AD/Chief Development Officer. The nationwide search was steered by Long Beach State’s Vice President for University Relations and Development’s Andrea Taylor. Taylor led a search committee consisting of coaches, students, community boosters, faculty and staff. More than 75 candidates applied. The committee selected four candidates to come to campus for a day-and-a-half interview process, during which they met with a diverse set of stakeholders – community supporters, athletic department staff, Bickerstaff Academic Center staff, coaches, student-athletes, student leaders, faculty and administrators – as well as two meetings with President Conoley.

“I am honored and thrilled to join Long Beach State University as its new Director of Athletics. I am grateful for the support of President Conoley, search committee chair Andrea Taylor and all those who were involved in the process,” said Fee. “I am looking forward to building on the already successful foundation at Long Beach State and engaging the entire campus and community, to work together to fulfill the bold vision for Long Beach State Athletics. I was impressed and inspired at every turn during the search process with those who shared their love and commitment to Long Beach State.

“It is not easy to leave my UC Santa Barbara family,” added Fee. “However, as I look ahead to this wonderful opportunity at Long Beach State, I am especially grateful to UCSB Athletics Director John McCutcheon, Chancellor Henry T. Yang and Associate Vice Chancellor Beverly Colgate who have been wonderful mentors and friends. My wife and I are thrilled to join the Long Beach State family.”

Potrait of Andy Fee
Andy Fee

Fee said that he doesn’t foresee making any big changes in the athletics department. The school currently has 19 Division I sports competing in the Big West Conference or Mountain Pacific Sports Federation.

The Beach has won six out of the past 10 Big West Commissioner’s Cups, honoring the most successful athletics program in the conference.

“Many times, jobs are rebuilding jobs, structurally something is wrong, you have to fix this or change that,” Fee said. “I don’t see that at all at Long Beach. It’s more about refinement than rebuilding. The foundation is a strong one.”

Fee said his first task will be getting out into the community, connecting with alumni and donors and hiring a women’s basketball coach to replace Jody Wynn, who left in April to take the head coaching job at University of Washington.