Espinoza Selected Top Employee

Published: July 5, 2016

Saul Espinoza, a lead custodian in Housing and Residential Life, was recognized recently as employee of the month.

Espinoza was acknowledged in a special ceremony held on Friendship Lane near the University Student Union which was renamed Saul Espinoza Lane in his honor.

President Jane Close Conoley praised Espinoza for his commitment to the university.

“Saul is not only a supervisor but also is responsible for completing custodial duties and always stays ahead of his workload,” she said. “He takes great pride in the areas of his responsibility and always makes sure that his staff does the same. He is always willing to provide assistance and guidance to his team and always has a positive attitude.”

“I feel honored to be named employee of the month,” said Espinoza, who joined CSULB in 2013. “It is a pleasure to be recognized. It makes me feel very happy. I’m excited to be recognized for my job and the work that I do.”

Espinoza is glad he picked CSULB as a place to work. “I chose Cal State Long Beach because I was working at another job for a long period of time and I was ready to do something different,” he recalled. “That motivated me to come here. I share some of my experiences with other employees to show them new techniques then we take it from there.”

As a lead custodian in Housing and Residential Life, Espinoza’s responsibilities begin with seeing that CSULB students are taken care of.

“We want to make sure the students are happy with the maintenance work we do,” he said. “We take care of everything from bathrooms to carpets to hallways. It is up to us to clean all the buildings and their facilities. We make sure everything is clean and sanitized.”

Espinoza believes one reason for his distinction is his initiative and desire to exceed expectations—always.

“I always try to go above and beyond what I’m asked to do,” he said. “I’m the kind of person who, if something needs attention, I will stop and take care of it. I don’t let things go or let things slide. I’m always on top of my job. I always make sure that things are done correctly.”

Every day brings different challenges. Espinoza periodically begins the day with a meeting to ensure that the staff is happy. “I want the best possible working environment for employees. I want to make sure this staff wants to be part of Housing and Residential Life. It is very important to me that all our employees are happy when they come in to work. I want a team effort. It is important to me that we all get along and stay on the same page. Every day ought to be productive. Our goal is to make the university a better place than it was the day before. We are here to make a difference in the lives of CSULB student,” he said.

Espinoza believes in the importance of working at a university, recognizing that students come to campus from different states and countries.

“One room may have a student from South America and the next a student from Europe,” he said. “To me, it is very important that, when they come here, they have a positive experience at CSULB. That’s what I want them to say when they go home. I hope that our maintenance is one motivation for students to come here. They know our housing is clean and hospitable. I don’t just want students to be satisfied; I want them to be happy with the services we provide.”

Saul Espinoza
PHOTO BY STEFFANIE PADILLA
Saul Espinoza

Espinoza has student interaction on a daily basis. “Sometimes they’ll see me cleaning the parking lot in the morning and the building at night so they ask me, ‘are you always working?’” he explained. “I like to make sure everything is clean. From the front door to the back, I want to make sure that everything is nice and safe.”

When he isn’t working hard at CSULB, Espinoza enjoys spending time with his wife Paola and his daughters Daniella, age 5, and Carolina, age 1. His son Andrew is a CSULB graduate.

Espinoza wants to continue to grow professionally.

“I love what I do,” he said. “I am ready for any opportunities and challenges that arise. I’ll be happy to accept any responsibilities this department offers. I love where I work. I’m very happy to be at Cal State Long Beach.”

Espinoza recommends CSULB as a good place to work. “I’ve worked in other places but this is by far the best,” he said. “My advice to others is, if they are interested in a good job where it is interesting to work, this is the place. I’m respected and treated well. I like being in a good working environment.”

Espinoza received several gifts with his recognition including a framed picture with President Conoley, a CSULB sweatshirt, a $25 gift card to Olive Garden, a gift certificate for one pound of See’s Candies and two gift certificates for Tommy’s Original World Famous Hamburgers.