UR&D’s Garcia Honored

Published: May 16, 2016

Daisy Garcia, a fiscal and human resources analyst, was named recently by her coworkers in University Relations and Development as employee of the month and was recognized in a ceremony near the University Student Union held on Friendship Lane which was renamed Daisy Garcia Lane for the month.

“I feel very humbled and grateful,” said Garcia, a member of the university since 2004 when she began as a student assistant working first for the 49er Shops and then transitioning to University Relations and Development. In 2006, she became a part-time administrative support assistant II in the same area.

CSULB President Jane Close Conoley praised Garcia’s distinction. “Daisy is known for her follow-through and excels at multi-tasking, always going the extra mile for those in her department and throughout the campus,” she said.

Garcia believes one reason for her recognition is her sense of personal responsibility. “Every day I come to work and I try to do my job with a lot of grace. I feel very grateful for my job,” she said.

As a fiscal and human resources analyst, Garcia’s responsibilities include processing payroll working with outside vendors and paying invoices.

“We deal not only with the central office but with all the subdivisions in UR&D,” she explained. “We deal with anything that has to do with recruiting, hiring and separating. Kathy Skara (Director Of Division Operations) and I serve the vice president (Andrea Taylor), with anything she needs, we are there to help. Whether it is answering a phone or conducting a research, we are there.”

A typical day might find Garcia collecting time sheets for staff and students, paying daily invoices and dealing with vendors.

“If a staff member decides to leave, I will separate them,” she explained. “We also coordinate interviews. “It’s a multi-faceted job and a great division to work in.”

Garcia first arrived at CSULB as a student in 2002, the first person in her family to attend a university. Since then, she earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science as well as Chicano and Latino Studies, and on May 20 will be receiving her master’s degree in public policy and administration.

Garcia decided to pursue her graduate degree for her daughter, Delilah.

“When I started, I didn’t have a daughter. There were times when I didn’t know if I wanted to keep going. I knew it would be hard to be a mom,” she said. “I wanted her to know that no matter what life throws at you, you’ve got to keep going. Even if you are thrown and hit the floor, what matters is how you get up. It took me four years but on May 20, I’ll be graduating with a master’s degree. That is the most important thing.”

Daisy Garcia, employee of the month.
PHOTO BY MICHAEL SULLIVAN
Daisy Garcia

When she isn’t serving CSULB, Garcia enjoys spending time with her husband Saul and their daughter. “That’s my foundation,” she said. “It is my family with my parents and sisters who encourage me every day.”

Garcia is glad she decided to join CSULB.

“I came here because I thought CSULB was a great university and I still think CSULB is a great university,” she said. “I was born in L.A. and I always wanted to attend a diverse campus. I think we have a great community here.”

Garcia received several gifts including a CSULB sweatshirt, a $25 gift certificate for the Cheesecake Factory, a gift certificate for one pound of See’s Candies and two certificates for Tommy’s Original World Famous Hamburgers.

–Richard Manly