Burkett Named Employee of the Month

Published: December 15, 2015

James Burkett, an information technology supervisor in Student Health Services (SHS), was recently named by his co-workers as employee of the month.

“I’m honored and completely humbled by such a meaningful recognition which I wouldn’t have received if it weren’t for the incredible staff that I am privileged to work with every day,” said Burkett. “I wish I could add all those names next to mine on the street sign. The university definitely knows how to make someone feel appreciated, from the ceremony with President Conoley, to the street sign, to the fun presents and surprises. I will always remember this day.”

President Jane Close Conoley praised Burkett for his professionalism and commitment.

“He is patient, understanding and very knowledgeable,” she said. “James always has a positive attitude and goes the extra mile for both the staff and students every day. His ability to resolve both staff and external vendor issues makes him an invaluable member of the Student Health Services team. James is an excellent representative of our university.”

Burkett thinks one reason for his recognition is his experience in customer service. “If the staff is happy, the students will be happy. I try to provide the best customer service that I can,” he said.

His responsibilities as an IT supervisor include keeping an eye on all the technology in his building from removing paper jams to implementing a new system to be used in the health center.

Burkett first joined the university in December 2007 on the recommendation of a friend who already worked on campus.

“I’d heard great things about CSULB,” he said. “When I was informed a position had become available, I quickly applied and was thrilled to be asked to join SHS. I am still happy to be here eight years later. I can’t say enough about working in the health center in particular and the campus in general. I love what I do and where I do it.”

Some of his daily routine includes checking the daily server logs, walking the building to make sure student kiosks and nursing workstations are running and even making a fresh pot of coffee for the staff. “I want the staff to be able to hit the ground running when they arrive, both with technology and caffeine,” he said.

James Burkett
PHOTO BY DREW BOWLES
James Burkett

Burkett has worked hard to collect professional credentials such as his Microsoft certification and his security plus credential.

“I get involved in extra training such as the campus’ active shooter drills,” he said. “I am part of the team that gets the proper equipment in place. I get involved in the non-medical side of any emergency such as triage training. I also work closely with area vendors who take care of so many things for the Student Health Services from X-rays to drawing blood for analysis.”

Burkett is glad he made the decision to join CSULB. “I’ve had jobs in the past where it was hard to get out of bed to go to work in the morning,” he recalled. “I’ve never had that feeling here.”

Burkett received several gifts with his distinction including a CSULB sweatshirt, a $25 gift certificate to Joe’s Crab Shack, a gift certificate for one pound of See’s Candies and one free Whopper from Burger King.

–Richard Manly