Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Important information about the university's response to COVID-19
Welcome to CSULB
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a font sizeSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font

Current Student Veterans

Certification Steps

Current student veterans need to follow the steps listed below to get themselves certified.

If you have any further questions Contact us here

Important Policies affecting Veterans - Please read!!

Priority Registration for Selected Student Veterans

In accordance with the Assembly Bill 2133, California resident veterans, or those serving on active duty or in the National Guard or Reserve attending public colleges and universities are granted priority registration for classes for a period of four years, which must be used within 15 years of leaving active service. Eligible CSULB students must provide proof of service (i.e. a DD-214 or current enlistment contract) to the Veterans Services Office.

Disabled Veterans

All student veterans are encouraged to sign up for services at CSULB's Disabled Student Services (DSS) office and the Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) office.  Both offices provide professional staff services to assist student veterans with injuries in an academic environment. 

These offices are often times used in conjunction with VA hospital services or Vet Center assistance.  DSS and CAPS can make referrals for student veterans attending CSULB who may require extended healthcare support through the Veterans Administration. 

Course Withdrawal due to Mobilization

Prior to Census and the ‘W’ period, upon submission of the student’s orders Enrollment Services removes the enrollment from the student’s record, processing it in such a way that he/she will be refunded.  After this period, Enrollment Services assigns a WE so that there is no adverse impact to the student and coordinates refund processing with the Student Financial Services office.

Download the Military Leave form here.

Leave for Military Service and Readmission of Servicemembers to CSULB

As provided for in the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, students who leave CSULB to serve in the Armed Forces of the United States will be allowed to return to the same program with the same standing they had when they left.  

Military servicemembers and veterans who were absent from CSULB for service in the Armed Forces are eligible to return to CSULB based on the following provisions:

  • Absence is due to active duty service in the Armed Forces, including the National Guard or Reserves, for more than 30 days.
  • The servicemember or veteran provides the CSULB Veterans Affairs Services Office with either
    • advance notice that of the need for a leave of absence is due to military service


    • documentation that the absence was due to service in the Armed Forces of the United States, which the student may provide at the time of return.
      • Examples of such documentation include a DD214, a copy of orders, etc.
  • The servicemember or veteran notifies the CSULB Veterans Affairs Services Office of the intent to re-enroll within 3 years of completion of military service. A student who is injured during or becomes ill as a consequence of military service must submit his/her intent to re-enroll not later than 2 years after the end of the period that is necessary for recovery from such illness or injury.
    • Upon notification of intent to re-enroll, students will be required to submit (RETURN TO CSULB AFTER MILITARY SERVICE FORM)
  • The cumulative length of all absences for service in the uniformed services may not exceed five years. This period includes only the time spent actually performing service, not the period before reporting for duty and the time between completing service and returning to the institution.
  • Students will be returning to the same academic program, with the same academic standing that they were in at the time the absence began. Students will be returning to the next class or classes in their program after they provide notice of their intent to reenroll.
  • Eligibility under the terms of the HEOA terminates upon any of the following events:
    • Being separated from the Armed Forces with a dishonorable discharge.
    • Being dismissed as permitted under section 1161(a) of title 10, United States Code.
    • Being dropped from the rolls pursuant to section 1161(b) of title 10, United States Code.

A servicemember or veteran who does not meet these criteria is subject to current CSULB admissions requirements and may apply for readmission by submitting the Cal State Apply application and application fee during the CSU admissions period.

Questions regarding CSULB's policy or procedures for military leave should be directed to the Veterans Services Office