Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Important information about the university's response to COVID-19
Welcome to CSULB
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a font sizeSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font

New Student-Veterans and Dependents

Benefits certification is the most common reason student service members, veterans and dependents work with our office.

To be certified for G.I. BillŪ and Vocational Rehabilitation benefits, all student service members, veterans or dependents who are new to CSULB must attend the Veterans Services Orientation. Note: This is separate from the mandatory undergraduate CSULB SOAR orientation. Details regarding SOAR will be emailed to you separately.

Veterans Services Orientation Information

Fall 2020 Admits

The Veterans Services Orientation will cover the services available to you and collect the documents needed to begin your G.I. BillŪ and Vocational Rehabilitation benefits at CSULB

Sign up here for one of our scheduled make-up orientations

Thursday, August 20, 2020
2:00 - 4:00 PM
Register here

Friday, August 28, 2020
11:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Register here
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

If you are ONLY using the CalVet Fee Waiver, you do not need to attend Veterans Services Orientation.

More information about the Veterans Services Orientation and a list of other documents you must bring will come in future emails and are listed below.

Spring 2021 Admits

Information TBD

Documents Required for G.I. BillŪ Certification

Please do not attempt to submit any other VA-related paperwork to our offices until you attend the Veterans Services Orientation.

  1. Certificate of Eligibility
    - o This is a letter from the VA that details the type of benefit you have, your percentage of eligibility, and the amount of educational benefits you have remaining.
    - If you have not yet received your Certificate of Eligibility, complete an Application for VA Educational benefits here. We will fax this document to the VA for you when you bring in all the other required documents. You may also complete an online application here. Be sure to print your completed application to bring to our office.
  2. DD-214 (Member Copy 4)
    - In addition to establishing veteran status, this document will be used to determine eligibility for priority registration. All student-veterans - even those not using G.I. BillŪ benefits - should submit a DD-214 to the Veterans Services Office to establish eligibility for priority registration.
    Note: : Dependents will only provide this document if they are using the Post 9/11 GI BillŪ and applying for the veterans non-resident tuition exemption based on their sponsor's end of service date. (In accordance with section 702 of the Veterans Access Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 and California Education Code section 68075.7.)
  3. Student Responsibility Form
    - This form details your responsibilities as a CSULB student using VA Educational benefits. Print, complete, and sign this CSULB Veterans Services Student Responsibility Form - PDF.
  4. Request for Certification
    - This form provides the Veterans Services Office with your current semester enrollment information. Print, complete, and sign the form.
    - You must complete a Request for Certification EVERY SEMESTER. Continuing students are encouraged to submit the request for enrollment certification for VA benefits here.

Other Forms You May Need

  • Graduate students must submit an Academic Plan. If you do not have this, see your department graduate advisor.
  • If you are taking classes at another school, fill out the Request for Parent School Letter Form.
  • If you are a reservist using Chapters 1606 or 1607, you'll need to submit a DD2384 (NOBE).

Any changes to your academic plan or class schedule must be reported to the School Certifying Official immediately.

  • Use the Add/Drop form for schedule changes.
  • Contact the Veterans Services Office for changes in academic plan.

Please read important policies affecting Veterans.