Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Important information about the university's response to COVID-19
STARS/SOAR, Student Transition & Retention Services / Student Orientation, Advising & Registration
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font

Beach Basics

SOAR Leaders prepare for the day

We know that being a new student at CSULB comes with lots of additional responsibilities and necessities. Below you’ll find links to information to help your transition to The Beach – stuff like finding a place to live, buying your books, getting a job and staying safe at The Beach.

University Housing & Residential Life

Parkside Residence Hall at CSULB

Living in the residence halls is part of the traditional college experience and it’s one that you’ll cherish the rest of your life. Not only are you a short walk to your classes, but living in the residence halls allows you to create new friendships and become fully immersed in life at The Beach. Housing & Residential Life offers two distinct on-campus residential colleges to fit your unique personality. Hillside College includes Hillside A, B, C, D, E & F Hall, International House Hall, Los Cerritos Hall & Los Alamitos Hall. Parkside College consists of nine, two-story halls located adjacent to The Walter Pyramid. Additionally, Housing & Residential Life offers off-campus housing at Beachside College, which is located approximately one mile from the campus. This unique living/learning community allows students to share an in- and out-of-classroom experience: Students live together in university-sponsored housing and can enroll in specially selected General Education (GE) courses as part of the Living/Learning Communities program.

Looking for other types of housing? The City of Long Beach and its surrounding cities offer a variety of housing options from apartments, condos, room, and houses. Housing & Residential Life maintains a computerized database that allows students to search for housing vacancies based on the type of housing (apartment, condo, single room, etc.) and location.

Return to top of page
photo of books

Buy Your Books

The University Bookstore is your one-stop-shop for all of your classroom supplies and Beach Pride gear. From textbooks to software, blue books to scantrons, sweatshirts to diploma frames, and bus passes to greeting cards – the University Bookstore has it all under one roof!

Students have two options when it comes to purchasing textbooks: You can place your order on-line or stop by the University Bookstore to hand-pick your books. Either way, the University Bookstore makes it convenient and affordable for you.

Return to top of page
Beachlink jobs

On- and Off-Campus Employment

There are many on- and off-campus job opportunities for CSULB students. The Career Development Center offers various services to help students explore careers and prepare for life after The Beach. It also offers CareerLINK, which provides students with the ability to search and apply for full-time and part-time jobs, internships and on-campus interview opportunities

On-campus jobs are offered through the Student Recreation & Wellness Center, Associated Students, Inc., 49er Shops and University Outreach and School Relations. The Student Recreation & Wellness Center is a state-of-the-art recreation facility that provides activities, programs, and opportunities for Intramural Sports, Fitness and Wellness services. More than 100 jobs are available to CSULB undergraduate and graduate students. Associated Students, Inc., offers a wide range on-campus employment and involvement opportunities. 49er Shops operates the University Bookstore and University Dining Services, and offers various jobs throughout the campus. University Outreach and School Relations (UOSR) provides opportunities to work on behalf of CSULB as a campus tour guide, recruiter, or publications editor - call (562) 985-5358 to inquire.

Return to top of page
Students walking on campus.

Staying Safe at The Beach

Dial 911 for Police, Fire, or Medical Emergencies – you can use any mobile, campus, public pay or Code Blue telephone to speak with the University Police. For any non-emergency, contact the University Police at (562) 985-4101.

The University Police Department oversees services and resources available to all campus community members designed to establish a secure and peaceful learning atmosphere. California State University Police officers are sworn law enforcement officers under California Penal code section 830.2, and in compliance with state statue meet the peace officer standards and training requirements mandatory for all California law enforcement officers. In addition to emergency response services, the University Police Department also offers resources to assist you such as the Night Escort Program, LiveScan Fingerprinting, referral agencies for sexual assault and domestic violence victims, women’s self defense classes and specialized seminars.

The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, which is a federal law that requires colleges and universities to disclose information about crimes on their campuses, informs the University community about important procedures, policies, crime prevention programs and campus crime statistics. A copy of the Clery Report is available via the University Police Department web site.

Return to top of page
Students taking a test in a classroom.

Required Exams

Transfer Students:

Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR)

All students who obtain a degree or certificate from a CSU campus must meet the GWAR. The options for meeting the GWAR at CSULB are as follows:
1) take the Graduation Proficiency Examination (GPE) and earn a score of 11 or greater OR
2) take the analytical writing component of the GRE or GMAT and earn a score of 4 or higher OR
3) take a GWAR-certified course and receive a passing score on the portfolio.
Please note: all transfer students must attempt the GPE once, and must do so in the first semester of attendance. For complete details of the GWAR requirement at CSULB, please visit the Testing Department website and click on “GPE.” If you have questions, please call the Testing Department at (562) 985-4007.

Return to top of page