Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Counseling & Psychological Services
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font

Faculty & Staff Assistance Program (FSAP)

What is the Faculty & Staff Assistance Program?

The Faculty & Staff Assistance Program, also known as FSAP, is a free, confidential resource to help you resolve personal, family, or work-related problems before they disrupt your life. Services directly provided by FSAP are available only by appointment at no cost to you.

Tragedy in Paris

As the campus mourns the loss of our design student Nohemi Gonzalez in the Paris tragedy, please know that Counseling and Psychological Services has on-call counselors available if you feel the need to talk with someone about your emotional response to these events.

Please call CAPS at (562) 985-4001 or walk in during our office hours (8:30 - 4:30) to speak with a counselor. After hours, you can call our phone number to speak with a phone counselor if you feel you are in crisis. Faculty and staff can call (562)-985-7434 to make an appointment to speak with our campus faculty and staff counselor.

Our hearts go out to all campus community members and the family of Nohemi who have been affected by this senseless tragedy in Paris.

Helpful Resources

For the Community (Off Campus)

Disaster Distress Hotline: 1-800-985-5990 Or text TalkWithUs to 66746.
Immediate crisis counseling for people who are experiencing emotional distress related to any natural or human-caused disaster. The hotline is a toll-free, multilingual, and confidential crisis support service. Stress, anxiety, and other depression-like symptoms are common reactions after a disaster.

2-1-1 (dial in any county in California for local referrals)
Free confidential referral and information helpline that provides information about local community resources including counseling and mental health.

U.S. Department of State, Office of Overseas Citizens Services: 1-888-407-4747
Contact if you are concerned about loved ones living or traveling in France. (U.S. citizens)

For Students and Staff/Faculty (On Campus)

Counseling and Psychological Services: 562-985-4001
Brotman Hall Room 226

Staff and Faculty Assistance Program: 562-985-7434
A free, confidential resource to help you resolve personal, family, or work-related problems. By appointment only.

Center for International Education: 562-985-4106
Brotman Hall 201

Tips for College Students: After a Disaster or Other Trauma

Disaster Helpline Brochure

How does one access these services?

Off campus, call us at (562) 985-7434. On campus, call 5-7434.

Who are the staff?

FSAP staff are highly experienced and fully trained, licensed professionals. Areas of specialty include: personal growth and development, work-stress management, family concerns, alcohol and drug abuse, relationship issues and career issues.

  • Corrie O'Toole, Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Employee Assistance Specialist


Any faculty or staff member is assured that confidentiality is carefully maintained. The professional staff at FSAP adhere to the ethical principles and licensure requirements of the respective professions. We strongly protect client confidentiality except where it is legally limited (such as in child abuse cases or threats of harm). A full explanation of confidentiality is available.

How do I use FSAP?

Call the phone number listed in this brochure to set up an appointment. Work-release time can usually be provided for the initial appointment.

What services does FSAP provide?

FSAP staff will help you explore problem areas which affect your well-being such as crisis resolution, emotional concerns (depression, anxiety), work-related concerns, family / marital / partner concerns and alcohol and drug abuse .

Special services will also be offered to improve job performance. These include but are not limited to communication skills training, conflict resolution and effective change management.

FSAP staff will also provide on site intervention for interpersonal conflicts within the workplace, traumatic loss, and other difficult situations.

FSAP staff will provide problem assessment, short-term counseling, and needed referral services.

What additional services can FSAP provide?

FSAP staff not only provide help for individuals, they also provide consultation services to unit managers, supervisors, deans, directors, and staff members on performance, conflict and crisis intervention.

Resource Links