Change Option Title - Process

The Vice Provost for Academic Programs and Dean of Graduate Studies will determine whether a title change to an existing program can be considered minor. If so, an approval memo will be distributed.

In most instances, changing the title of a degree program or credential will require campus and system-wide approval. What may seem to be a simple change in title may be viewed as a new degree. For example, a change from a B.A. to a B.S. or an M.A. to an M.S., or vice versa, is actually a new degree. Consult with Academic Programs ( to determine if the proposed program title change requires campus or system-level approval. There is separate information available regarding a change to the degree designation.

When considering a title change, follow these steps: