Skip to main content
College of Education »

College of Education Information

Information » Program Information »

Master's Degree Programs

Master's degree programs are offered in three departments within the College. General procedures, policies, requirements, and applications for the master's degrees are available from the Graduate Studies Office, EED-7 (, and are listed following each option in the appropriate section of the catalog. In order to pursue a master's degree, students must submit applications to both the University and the program.

The Advanced Studies in Education and Counseling (ASEC) Department offers a Master of Science degree in Counseling, with Options in Marriage and Family Therapy and School Counseling; and a Master of Science degree in Special Education. The Master of Arts in Education degree is offered with Options in Educational Psychology, Educational Technology and Media Leadership, and Social and Cultural Analysis of Education. The ASEC department also offers the Educational Specialist degree and the PPS credential in School Psychology.

The Teacher Education Department (TED) offers six options in the Master of Arts in Education: Curriculum and Instruction (Elementary Education), Curriculum and Instruction (Secondary Education), Dual Language Development, Early Childhood Education, Mathematics Education, and Reading/Language Arts. The Educational Leadership Department (EDLD) offers a Master of Arts in Education degree in Education Administration and a Master of Science in Counseling degree in Student Development in Higher Education.

To be considered for admission to a master's degree program, students must submit a program application, test scores (if applicable), and any additional program requirements to the Office of Graduate Studies and office in the College of Education. Program applications vary; please check the individual program for additional requirements. Program applications may be obtained from the Graduate Studies office (EED-7; 562/985-8476; Please note: Not all programs admit students for the spring semester. For additional program information and contact numbers for advisors, visit the College of Education website at and navigate to the appropriate program.

All master's degree candidates in education are required either to complete a thesis or project or take a comprehensive examination according to the requirements of the degree or degree option. Application for enrollment for thesis, project, or comprehensive examination must be made by the deadline as seen on the Graduate Advising home page for the fall or spring semester to receive consideration for admissionr.

College of Education
University Course Listings
PDF Document IconPrint (PDF) Versions of the Catalog