Skip to main content

Baccalaureate Information

GE » Majors » Graduation »

Frequently Asked Questions

Student Success and Graduation

CSULB's core academic purpose is to graduate students with highly valued degrees. Graduation rates for CSULB students have increased dramatically in recent years and the length of time it takes students to complete degrees has decreased. The availability of needed courses and support by academic advisors and learning communities greatly improved graduation rates. These improvements were key to the naming of CSULB as one of "America's Best Colleges and Universities" by U.S. News and World Report and "No. 3 best value public college in the nation" by America's Best Value Colleges.

Frequently Asked Questions

Successful students know the answers to these frequently asked questions. Please read them carefully. Knowing these answers can help you avoid pitfalls during your first semesters on campus. For further information, contact the University Center for Undergraduate Advising at (562) 985-4837.

1. What courses do I need to take to graduate? Use the Degree Planner online tool in MYCSULB to map your entire academic path to graduation. Each time you enter the Degree Planner, it determines what degree requirements you have met and what is still remaining. The Planner then provides a recommended plan promoting timely graduation. If you have questions about your recommended plan, contact your major advisor, college advising center, or the University Center for undergraduate Advising if you are undeclared.

2. How can I tell what requirements I still need to meet before I graduate? Use MyCSULB to check your Academic Requirements Report. Icons next to each requirement reflect the status of that requirement. You can bring a printout of the Academic Requirements Report to your college advising center or major advisor or the University Center for Undergraduate Advising for assistance. Also, check your To Do list for any outstanding transcripts needed from other institutions.

3. Can my General Education (GE) courses be used for both GE and for my major ("double counted")? Under the 2012 GE pattern, up to 13 units may double count for the major and GE. Students following other GE patterns should review their Academic Requirements Report with their major advisor or see an advisor in the University Center for Undergraduate Advising if they have questions (Horn Center, Room 103, 562-985-4837).

4. How many units will transfer from a California Community College to CSULB? All bachelor’s level courses transfer, but only 70 units of transferable course work will apply to your bachelor’s degree. Additional transferable course work will receive subject credit only.

5. I transferred from a California Community College. Do I have to take any General Education courses? If you have received full GE certification, you are only required to complete an additional nine (9) units of upper-division GE Capstone courses, including Global Issues and Human Diversity. You may also need to fulfill the U.S. History, Constitution, and American Ideals requirement. If you have not been certified as having met the transfer pattern, you must satisfy CSULB's GE requirements.

6. What does General Education (GE) Certification mean? There are three GE certification processes. Two may be completed at the California Community College (CCC). They are either (1) the California State University (CSU) Transfer Pattern or (2) the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC). The third certification process may be completed at another CSU. In all cases, GE certification means that you have completed your lower-division GE at a CCC or at another CSU.

7. Does having an AA degree from a California Community College mean I am GE Certified? The minimum requirements for general AA degrees do not include the lower-division GE pattern required by CSULB. The completion of both an AA degree along with the specified CSU GE or IGETC pattern provide the appropriate GE courses for possible GE certification. In addition, the Associate Degrees for Transfer (AA-T, AS-T) do include GE Certification as part of the degree program. After transfer, CSULB also requires an additional 9 units of upper-division GE Capstone courses.

8. What is partial General Education (GE) Certification? Partial Certification means that transfer students have completed subject and unit requirements in one or more GE categories, but not all.

University Course Listings
PDF Document IconPrint (PDF) Versions of the Catalog