Skip to main content
Academic Information and Regulations »

Academic Credit

Unit Credit by Examination

Students may also challenge some courses by taking examinations developed at the campus. Credit will be awarded to those who pass them successfully. Credits earned in this manner will be recorded as test credit on the student's transcript and will be counted toward the total number of units required for the degree although they will not be included in calculation of the grade‑point average. Credit by examination may not be used to fulfill the minimum residence requirement.

Students must be enrolled in the University and in the course for which they wish to receive credit by examination. Enrollment is by permission of the department and is only available during the academic semester in which the course is being offered. Students must secure a signed and dated approval form from the department PRIOR to enrolling in the course. Students must provide the instructor with a copy of the signed and dated approval form at the first class meeting. The instructor will ensure that the examination is conducted, scored, and the results reported prior to the end of the third week of classes. Students who pass the examination will receive academic credit for the course work. Students who do not pass the examination have two options:

  • 1. continue in the course as a regular student; or
  • 2. withdraw from the course.

The University sets no maximum on the number of credits a student may receive by examination. Not all courses, however, are available for credit by examination. Information about courses for which credit by examination is not permitted is available in the Department Office, in the College Office, and the Office of Enrollment Services. A student may NOT receive credit by examination:

  • 1. for an activity course,
  • 2. for any course which is a prerequisite to one for which credit has been received, (see department for possibility of course waiver),
  • 3. to remove a grade of "F," "WU," "NC,"
  • 4. to satisfy the courses required for a major in a master's degree.
  • 5. for any course in which the content or methodology is such that an examination does not appropriately measure competence.

Application forms to apply for credit by examination are available in department offices and in the Office of Enrollment Services. Procedures and criteria for requesting unit credit by examination in a given course are available in the appropriate department office. (PS 87-04)

University Course Listings
PDF Document IconPrint (PDF) Versions of the Catalog