Skip to main content
Academic Information, Policies and Regulations »

Academic Information

Registration Holds

Students may be prevented from registering because they have not met a University obligation. Students can view their own information (HOLDS) on MyCSULB.

Financial Holds

Students are personally responsible for making sure that registration fees and any other fees or charges are paid on time to CSULB, regardless of who funds the student's education.

These charges can include payment for items damaged, returned late, or not returned, and can include course fees for some courses or activities.

Students can review their account balance at MyCSULB. Payment can be made on MyCSULB or at the Cashier's Office, BH-148.

Students who have an unpaid balance will have a financial hold placed on their academic records until the balance is paid or a written release from the originating office is received by the Student Account Services Office. The hold restricts the student from receiving University services, including but not limited to registration, grades, and transcripts.

If the obligation continues to appear on the University reports, the student's name will be submitted to the Franchise Tax Board. In this case, the student or former student permanently loses the privilege of submitting checks as payment for fees or services. (Acceptable methods of payment are cash, cashiers' check or money order). The State then has the authority to withhold amounts owed to the University from any tax refund to which the student may be entitled.

Other Holds

The following types of holds may appear. Students should contact the office listed for information about how to clear the hold.

  • Failure to take a required test - Testing and Evaluation Services (562) 985-4006
  • Remediation hold - Pre-baccalaureate Advising and Support Services AS 14, (562) 985-7895
  • Perkins Loans – Business Office, BH 155, (562) 985-5348
  • Measles/Rubella – Student Health Services, (562) 985-4771
  • CIE hold (Foreign Clearance) – Center for International Education, BH 201, (562) 985-4106
  • No Major Hold – Enrollment Services, BH 101, (562) 985-5471
  • Timely Graduation Hold – Enrollment Services, BH 101, (562) 985-5471
  • Advising Hold - Advisor for Major

University Course Listings
PDF Document IconPrint (PDF) Versions of the Catalog