Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Faculty Affairs
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a font sizeSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font

Leaves of Absence

If you need to be away from work for a period of time, you may be eligible for a paid or unpaid leave of absence. The following leaves are available for faculty members.

Sabbatical and Difference-in-Pay Leaves

The following leaves of absence are available to faculty for purposes such as research, scholarly and creative activity, instructional improvement or faculty retraining.

    • Sabbatical Leaves
    • Difference-in-Pay Leaves

Personal and Professional Leaves

    • Personal leaves of absence without pay may be granted for reasons such as outside employment or purposes of a personal nature.
    • Professional leaves of absence without pay may be for purposes of research, advanced study, professional development or other purposes to benefit the campus. 

Medical and Parental Leaves of Absence

Medical leaves of absence are available for the following:

    • Caring for your own serious health condition
    • Caring for a family member with a serious health condition
    • Parental leave

Additional Types of Leaves

      • Military Leave
      • Jury Duty Leave
      • Leave to Vote
      • Absence as a Witness

Leaves for Teaching Associates and Graduate Assistants

The Collective Bargaining Agreement has information on leaves of absence for teaching associates and graduate assistants (Unit 11 employees).

Back to top

Contact Us

Need help?

For questions regarding Sabbatical and Difference-in-Pay Leaves, please contact Catherine Light in Faculty Affairs at


For questions regarding personal, professional, medical, and/or parental leaves, please contact Matt Menchaca in Faculty Affairs at


Additional Resources