The Civil Engineering and Construction Engineering Management Department’s Vahid Balali has been named one of the California construction industry’s top young professionals. Balali, who joined CSULB as an assistant professor last fall, was among 20 engineers, architects, entrepreneurs, academics, contractors, and specialty contractors recognized in ENR California’s annual contest.
ENR California’s Top Young Professionals, previously called the Top 20 under 40, “highlights and profiles individuals who represent the best-of-the-best in their fields by giving back to the construction industry and to their communities.” Those recognized lead large-scale projects, supervise diverse teams, improve their communities, and foster teamwork inside and outside their organizations.
Balali is also a BIM and project controls specialist at STV Inc. He has expertise in virtual design and construction, reality capture, visual sensing, augmented reality, 3D modeling for site verification, asset condition assessment, and sustainable infrastructure decision-making.
He worked as an asset manager in the overhaul of New York’s La Guardia Airport, led proposals for new projects in Chicago, and has developed a working concept for a vision-based roadway assets recognition and 3D reconstruction system.
An associate member of American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and Construction Management Association of America (CMAA), Balali obtained his Ph.D in Civil Engineering from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) in 2015. He is an American Journal of Civil and Architectural Engineering editorial board member, and a reviewer for several journals. Balali received the 2014 Construction Research Congress’ second best poster award and the 2013 CMAA national capital chapter scholarship award. He is also on the ASCE Data Sensing and Analysis and ASCE Visual Information Modeling and Simulation committees.
Among the other young construction industry professionals recognized are:
- Matthew Bohannon, Regional Vice President, Brailsford & Dunlavey
- Kendall DeSpenza, Director of Preconstruction Services, Countywide Mechanical Systems
- Brian Glodney, Design Director, Gensler
- Chad Harden, Senior Associate, Michael Baker International
- Noopur Jain, Statewide Engineering Manager, Complex Structures, California High-Speed Rail Authority
- Taryn Kjolsing, Associate Civil Engineer, City of Poway
- Lindsey Blatz Lamb, Senior Project Manager, Webcor Builders
- Andrew Liu, Senior Vice President, AECOM Ventures
- Ted Michaelidis, Project Manager, MWH Constructors Inc.
- Tylor Middlestadt, Project Manager, Sundt Construction
- David Miller, Director of Field Operations Manager, Bergelectric
- Timothy Adam Nelson, Associate, Degenkolb Engineers
- Laura (Robinson) Nolan, Project Manager, Water Team Lead, Kleinfelder
- Lauren Nunnally, Director of Business Technology, Swinerton Inc.
- Whitney L. Stefko, Attorney, Haight Brown and Bonesteel
- Satoshi Teshima, Associate Vice President-Lead Project Designer, HGA Architects and Engineers
- Melanie Turlington, Water Engineer, Arcadis U.S. Inc.
- Whitney Walter, Vice President, Layton Construction
- Justin Wheaton, Safety Manager, Tutor Perini Corp.