Tutoring in Math and Science
Tutoring Starts 2/1
Tutoring in science and math will be available starting Wednesday, February 1, 2023.
Important Notice Regarding Quizzes
Our tutors cannot and will not help with graded quizzes.
There are multiple centers on campus that tutor courses offered by the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics (CNSM):
- SAS Peer Mentors offers tutoring in science and math for CNSM pre-majors and majors.
- Lindgren Math Tutoring Center focuses on math.
- The Learning Center offers tutoring in lower-division science and math courses for non-CNSM majors.
- Engineering Tutoring is available for undergraduate engineering students in variety of subjects.
Reasons for Receiving Tutoring
You can seek out tutoring for a variety of reasons:
- review before a test
- review exam results and missed homework problems
- gain study skills and time management strategies
- overcome struggling with a particular concept or problem
- build your confidence in a subject matter
- stay on top of your homework and study routine.
Types of Tutoring
Tutoring can take different forms:
- coming to the tutoring center with a set of question you need assistance with
- studying in the tutoring center and ask a tutor questions as they arise
- "teaching" the tutor what you have learned and have them review your knowledge
- having a tutor quiz you before test
- visiting the center with a group of friends and inviting the tutor to help with any problem areas.
Benefits of Tutoring
You can benefit from tutoring in a number of ways:
- increase your confidence in a particular subject matter as well as in your academic skills
- build connections with upperclass students and classmates
- increase your opportunity for success in forthcoming courses
- learn new study and problem-solving strategies.