About the Program
The Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement (RISE) program is funded through a grant from the National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The program is designed to support motivated students interested in developing careers as professional research scientists in biomedical and behavioral science fields
The goals of the RISE program are to:
- Increase the number of underserved student groups graduating in biomedically related fields
- Increase an environment in which graduating RISE students will leave the program fully steeped in the culture and ethical practice of biomedical research professionals
- Increase the number of underserved student groups who enter doctoral programs in biomedical-related fields
- Create an environment through which both current and past RISE Starters and Fellows, Faculty Research Advisors, RISE Project Leadership, and participating scientific researchers in the greater Long Beach area will experience a sense of belonging to a professional biomedical stakeholder group.
Who Should Apply?
We are looking for students who are interested in pursuing doctoral degrees and careers in biomedical research and have the potential to succeed. Applications will be reviewed based on a number of criteria including:
- Evidence of strong academic performance or potential;
- Passion for scientific inquiry;
- Potential for successful biomedical research careers;
- Evidence of resilience, persistence, potential for leadership, and desire to help others through research.
All students interested in pursuing a biomedical/behavioral research career may apply for RISE training. U.S. Citizenship, non-national citizenship, or permanent residency is required to receive federal funding.
Students from groups traditionally underrepresented in the biomedical and behavioral research workforce, and students who have experienced life challenges that can contribute to the diverse perspectives in biomedical and behavioral research are particularly encouraged to apply.
Learn more about:
Please include your student ID number in all email correspondence.
The RISE Program is funded through a grant from the National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).