Research Fellows Program
The LSAMP Research Fellow Program is a National Science Foundation initiative to increase enrollments of minority populations and underrepresented students within science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) research fields.
You must first apply to the general LSAMP program. You may apply to the general LSAMP program at any time.
After applying to the general LSAMP program, you may apply to the LSAMP Research Fellows Program.
Research Application Deadline: March 6, 2020.
This is a shared application between the LSAMP Research Fellows Program and the LSAMP Summer Research Program.
Additional Components Needed
Applicants will also need the additional components for a completed application. If you did not upload the Personal Statement and Unofficial CSULB Transcripts in the application form, please email them to Cynthia.Alarcon@csulb.edu.
Personal Statement: your personal statement and brief description of your research project should be two pages or less, and must include the following:
- your name
- why you are applying to the LSAMP program
- name of your faculty mentor
- number of years or months you have worked in the lab/field
- research topic and your interest in the project
- what your future goals are, and how would LSAMP help you achieve those goals
Unofficial CSULB Transcripts: your unofficial CSULB transcripts can be accessed in MyCSULB.
Letter of Recommendation: We require one (1) letter of recommendation. This recommendation should be from your faculty research mentor. The person you list as a recommender will be sent an auto-generated email with a link to the online recommendation form. Letters of recommendation will be accepted until March 13, 2020.
It is your responsibility to make sure they receive the email and submit the requested materials on time. If your recommender did not receive an email with the link to the online recommendation form, you may give them this link:
Benefits and Responsibilities
Students accepted in the LSAMP Research Fellows Program will:
- Conduct research with a faculty member.
You will conduct research with a CSULB faculty member.
- Receive a stipend.
You receive a stipend (money) for doing research with a faculty mentor. Your faculty mentor will receive money for supplies.
- Enhance applications to graduate programs.
This program will help you become a competitive candidate for graduate programs (Master's or Ph.D.) in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
While in the program, you are required to attend all LSAMP Research Fellows Program activities. These activities include bi-monthly meetings to provide updates about your research, professional development workshops, and information on graduate programs. After you have completed the program, we ask only one thing: update us on your graduate/professional placement. This allows us to see how successful the program has been and make improvements for future cohorts.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled at CSULB as an undergraduate student (post-baccalaureate/second bachelor students are not eligible)
- Declared major in science, math, engineering, or computer science (STEM majors)
- Facing or have faced social, cultural, educational, or economic barriers to careers in STEM
- U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident
- Interested in pursuing graduate degrees in the STEM disciplines
Please include your student ID number in email correspondence.