Post-baccalaureate degree: Masters
Please note that CSULB does NOT have a Physician Assistant program. A list of programs offered at other institutions is available via the PAEA Program Directory.
Physician assistants (PAs) are health care professionals who practice medicine under the supervision of a licensed physician. PAs provide physical exams, order and administer tests, make diagnoses, and treat illnesses. PAs work in a variety of settings including hospitals, long-term care facilities, and surgical centers. They are qualified to practice in over 60 specialty areas.
The following are general prerequisites. Please consult the PAEA Program Directory for specific program requirements.
- bachelor's degree
- each program has its own prerequisites: check specific school for prerequisites details
- general course prerequisites:
- English, one year
- general biology with lab, one year
- general chemistry with lab, one year
- anatomy and physiology
- psychology and/or sociology
- microbiology with lab
- biochemistry with lab
- medical terminology
- clinical health care experience (direct patient contact experience), about 1000 hours
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Online GRE Registration
- Required by most schools.
- California Baptist University
- California State University Monterey Bay
- Chapman University
- Charles R. Drew University
- Dominican University of California
- Loma Linda University
- Marshall B. Ketchum University
- Samuel Merritt College
- Southern California University of Health Sciences
- Stanford University
- Touro University - California
- University of California Davis
- University of La Verne
- University of the Pacific
- University of Southern California
- Western University of the Health Sciences
Explore ALL Physician Assistant Programs
"The PAEA Program Directory is a valuable resource for prospective applicants and current PAEA members, used to find information about all PA programs in one place."
We recommend that all pre-health students enroll in courses that meet the particular general education requirements to help develop a broad understanding of the health professions in relation to other disciplines of study. Review our General Education Recommendations (PDF) for additional information.
Please include your student ID number in all email correspondence.