Post-baccalaureate degree: DDS or DMD
Dentists play a significant role in our oral health care throughout our lives. Whether it's maintenance in our early years, braces in our adolescent years, or treatment for gum disease or teeth extractions in our senior years, successful dentists are capable and compassionate practitioners.
The following prerequisites must be completed prior to matriculation in a dentistry program:
- baccalaureate degree strongly preferred
- each program has its own prerequisites: check specific school for prerequisites details
- general course prerequisites:
- general biology with lab, one year
- general chemistry with lab, one year
- organic chemistry with lab, one year
- general physics with lab, one year
- English, one year
- psychology, one course or more
- Biochemistry, one course or more
- Calculus, one semester/one year
- Statistics, one course
- Dental Admission Test (DAT)
We recommend that all pre-health students enroll in courses that meet the particular general education requirements to help develop a broad understanding of the health professions in relation to other disciplines of study. Review our General Education Recommendations (PDF) for additional information.
Please include your student ID number in all email correspondence.