Health Professions Advising Office
New Recording - MD vs. PA: Same Team, Different Roles
If you missed the webinar on 11/5, you can now watching the recording. If you are pre-pa, pre-nursing, pre-med, or just exploring, this webinar will be an excellent chance to learn about different healthcare careers.
This and other recordings are available on Events and Workshops.
Resources for Pre-Health Students During COVID-19
Many of the health professions associations are aware of the changes and challenges you are facing at this time due to COVID-19. We have compiled a list of some of the health professions and their COVID-19 related websites that may answer your questions around the overall impact on your application and the application process. See: Resources for Pre-Health Students During COVID-19
We have also created a guide about How to Make the Most of Your Time During COVID-19 (pdf)
- Advising continues to be available for all students. Students must still attend a Pre-Health 101 via Zoom before receiving advising.
- For quick questions, please email HealthProfAdvising@csulb.edu and make sure your student ID is included in all correspondence.
- 30-minute phone or Zoom appointments are available for all students Monday-Friday from 12pm-2pm by using the "SSC – Advising & Tutoring" chiclet on Single Sign-On.
- For more detailed help with booking appointments, please see the Appointment Guide.
Pre-Health 101 Update
Pre-Health 101 sessions will now be conducted via Zoom. You must RSVP via BeachSync in order to attend. Please show up to the meeting on time: the meeting will be locked 5 minutes after the meeting's start time.
Resource for Meeting:
What is Pre-Health?
Pre-health is a designation for those who seek admission to health professional programs upon completion of a baccalaureate degree (B.A., B.S.). The Health Professions Advising Office (HPAO) serves students interested in pursuing graduate level health professions including medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, optometry, veterinary, and physician assistant.
HPAO provides a wide range of advising and support services designed to meet the needs of CSULB students as they navigate through the often-complex process of preparation and application to a health professional program.
I am Pre-Health! Now What?
- Watch videos
- Find research/volunteer activities
- Get notifications on upcoming events
- One hour workshop (multiple given throughout the semester - choose one to attend)
- Check BeachSync for upcoming times/dates
- Must attend Pre-Health 101 before attending drop-in advising
- Fall/Spring Fair
- Info sessions
- Application workshops
Which Major Should I Choose?
There is no "right" major to pursue at CSULB. Students should select a major for which they have a passion and will excel in. Health professional programs expect all students, whether philosophy majors, biology majors, or business majors, to do well in their chosen undergraduate programs and to demonstrate increasingly challenging curriculum loads in their major. All candidates, regardless of major, must demonstrate strong and consistent performance in coursework, especially in the core science prerequisites.
Please include your student ID number in all email correspondence.