Timely Graduation Requirement

In order to provide access to the university's undergraduate major and minor programs for as many qualified students as possible, this policy is established to ensure timely graduation of undergraduate students.

Students may earn up to 120% of the number of units required for the degree in their declared primary major. Any additional degree objectives (e.g., majors, minors, certificates) must be able to be completed within the additional units allowed. For example, if the degree requires 120 units, then 144 units are allowed when necessary. If the student's degree requires 128 units, then 154 units are allowed, when necessary.

After earning 90 units, students may change degree objectives only if they submit a plan demonstrating that all degree objectives can be completed within the 120% unit limit applicable to the higher unit major.

Students who have not already filed to graduate by the time they have earned 100% of the units required for the degree in their declared primary major must file to graduate and submit a plan to graduate within the unit limits defined in this policy.

If an exception is not approved, students whose plan to graduate exceeds 120% of the number of units required for the degree in their declared primary major may be subject to restrictions on enrollment. If the student has earned any major regardless of whether he or she has declared that major, a degree will be conferred in that major. If the student has not earned a major, enrollment will be restricted to courses required to graduate in the major for which graduation is most likely to occur in a reasonable time.

Requesting an Exception

Students requesting an exception to the limits in this policy should file an appeal for Exception to Academic Policy [PDF]. The appeal must include a rationale and an advisor-approved plan to graduate.

Transfer Students

For transfer students, a maximum of 60 transfer units will be counted for the purpose of determining your timely graduation as defined above. Up to 70 Community College units can still count toward any degree; additional courses can be counted for subject credit if articulated.

Units Excluded from Timely Graduation

The following types of earned units are excluded when determining Timely Graduation status:

  • Pre-baccalaureate credit
  • Advanced Placement (AP) credit
  • International Baccalaureate (IB) credit
  • Other external exams
  • Military credit
  • Credit by examination

Contact CNSM Advising

Please include your student ID number in all email correspondence.

Walk-In Hours

Hall of Science - Room 164

  • Mon: 9:00am - 12:00pm
  • Tue: 9:00am - 12:00pm
  • Wed: 12:30pm - 3:30pm
  • Thu: 1:00pm - 4:00pm

Availability is subject to change.


Appointments are for CNSM pre-major students only. For fully-declared majors, contact your major advisor.

Schedule Appointment
CSULB Student Success Collaborative

We operate on an appointment basis; however, students may also be seen for a quick question during walk-in hours.

Appointment Guide