The appointment process is different for students who are pre-majors and students who are fully declared majors.
Guide for Fall 2021
In-person advising appointments can be scheduled on BeachConnect with your assigned pre-major advisor: Find My Advisor. Online appointments are still available and can also be scheduled in BeachConnect.
For updates on Tutoring in the SAS Center, please visit Tutoring in Math and Science.
For Fall 2021, to keep our center safe for all students and staff, students must have a scheduled appointment to enter the SAS Center for Advising.
All Drop-in Hours will continue to online via the Advising Zoom Room for the remainder of the semester. No appointment is needed.
You can also reach your advisor directly via email for assistance.
What to do before coming to your appointment
- Complete the COVID-19 Pre-Screening in SSO: This needs to be done before you come to campus. Please make sure your green check mark is saved in a convenient place on your phone as you will need this to check-in for your for your appointment.
- Bring a Mask: CSULB is requiring everyone on campus to wear an approved face covering in all indoor campus spaces. Masks are required for entering the SAS the Center. You will not be allowed to check-in without one.
- Know your Student ID Number. This will be needed to check-in.
What to expect when you check-in for your appointment
- You will need to check-in for your appointment at the front desk which will be located just outside The SAS Center (HSCI-164).
- You will be asked for your name and will need to show your green check mark.
- You will be prompted to sign-in for your appointment with your student ID on the appropriate iPad.
- Once signed in, you advisor will come greet you and bring into the center.
What happens if I do not have a green check mark or a face mask?
- If a student cannot provide a green check mark for that day, they will be asked to reschedule or meet with their Advisor via Zoom. They will not be allowed in the SAS Center.
- Masks will be provided at the front desk, if needed. If a student refuse to wear a mask, they will be asked to reschedule or meet online with an advisor. They will not be allowed in the SAS Center.
What do I do if I scheduled an in-person appointment, but I am not cleared to come to campus that day?
- Please contact your advisor before your scheduled appointment time. Advisor can meet online via Zoom or reschedule your appointment.
If you have any questions regarding our COVID-19 guideline for this semester, please feel free to reach out to CNSM-Advising@csulb.edu.
Undergraduate students who request admission into a CNSM major but do not yet met the minimum requirements for a major are considered pre-majors.
Pre-majors use the Beach Connect through CSULB Single Sign-On to schedule appointments with their assigned pre-major advisor. You may only schedule an appointment up to two weeks in advance.
For help using Beach Connect, see Appointment Help (PDF).
Appointments are scheduled for 30-minute intervals. For your appointment, please:
- Bring your CSULB ID card
- Arrive 10 minutes early
- Be aware that your appointment may be cancelled if you are 10 minutes late.
If you cannot keep an appointment, you must cancel the appointment at least 24 hours in advance. Please be courteous to other students by planning ahead (cancel or reschedule in a timely fashion). This will help open up time slots for other students.
We provide drop-in advising at various dates and times during the semester. These visits are on a first-come, first-served basis. Walk-in sessions typically last 5-10 minutes.
Questions about schedule planning, comprehensive general education and major advising, graduation checks, and academic appeals usually take longer than drop-in sessions can accomodate. For these longer topics we suggest you instead schedule an appointment.
Disqualified students must attend a Reinstatement Workshop in the University Center for Undergraduate Advising (UCUA) and work with a UCUA advisor for support getting readmitted to CSULB. To register or meet with a UCUA advisor please call 562.985.4837.
Undergraduate students who request admission into a CNSM major and meet the minimum requirements for that major are considered to be fully declared in their major.
Fully-declared majors meet with their major advisor during the advisor's office hours or appointment availability.
Graduate students should contact their graduate advisors.
- Mon: 9:00am-12:00pm
- Tue: 3:30pm-6:30pm
- Wed: 12:00pm-3:00pm
- Thu: 1:00pm-4:00pm
Online: CNSM Advising Zoom Room, Zoom room ID: cnsmadvising
On-campus: Hall of Science (HSCI) - Room 164
Students will be seen on a first-come, first-served basis by a limited number of advisors. Availability is subject to change: see Announcements on CNSM Advising.
Contact CNSM Advising
Please include your student ID number in all email correspondence.