Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a font sizeSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font

Child Welfare CalSWEC BASW Program

California Social Work Education Center (CalSWEC) is a unique partnership between social work education and the publicly supported child welfare agencies. A goal of the CalSWEC program is to recruit and prepare a diverse group of social workers for careers in public child welfare. CalSWEC provides financial support to BASW students in exchange for a commitment to work in a public child welfare agency after graduation. The intent of the program is to strengthen and enhance the quality of practice by professionally trained and educated public child welfare social workers.

The IV-E stipends provide support for full-time students enrolled in the BASW program. A CalSWEC reimbursement program is available for part-time students currently employed with the County Social Services department that provide child welfare or assistance benefits eligibility functions. All part-time applicants must provide a letter of support from their agency administrator/director. Financial supports for awarded part-time students will include actual cost of full tuition and fees, book costs, as well as a travel allowance. The travel allowance is determined based on the two-way commuting distance from the student's home or work to CSULB campus and/or their assigned fieldwork site.

CalSWEC Application Process

Students must first be admitted into the BASW program. Students are required to submit a CalSWEC application. The application is supplemented with various questions designed to ascertain their interest and level of commitment to a career in public child welfare. Once accepted into the program, students must undergo pre-screening for county employment, including fingerprinting and participation in the criminal clearance process as well as a psychological and medical examination. The student is required to sign a contract to secure full-time employment in a public child welfare agency after graduation.

Priority is given to applicants representing diverse population groups currently served by child welfare agencies in California. Fluency in a high-demand language is also given priority. Years of service and other child welfare experience also weighs significantly into the selection process. Students in the program must be U.S. citizens or have a permanent visa.

An Awards Committee, made up of representatives of the CSULB School of Social Work and representatives of public child welfare agencies from counties surrounding the University, will review and finalize selection of candidates to whom the award will be offered.

BASW CalSWEC Program Requirements

Students participating in the program must meet all the following criteria:

  1. Successful BASW admission;
  2. Maintain a “C” (2.0) average;
  3. Attendance at mandatory trainings on specialized topics;
  4. Have a valid driver's license and secure use of a car, as required, for fieldwork;
  5. Undergo pre-screening for county employment including Live Scan, medical, and psychological examinations;
  6. Fulfill one-year work commitment upon graduation;
  7. Students must reimburse CalSWEC if they are unable to successfully complete any of the program requirements.

For further information please see the brochure below:

Child Welfare CalSWEC Contact

Elizabeth Pringle-Hornsby, Ed.D., MSW
CSULB School of Social Work
(562)  985-5652

Important Documents

Child Welfare CalSWEC BASW Program Brochure


Special Disclosure Notice for All Applicants and Recipients of CSULB Social Work Stipend Programs:

Financial Aid Disclosure Policy for BASW and MSW Students Receiving Stipends, Awards or Scholarships

The School of Social Work forwards information about all students receiving stipends, awards and scholarships to the University’s Financial Aid Office, which administers anddisburses all stipends, educational awards and scholarships.  Please be aware that this may change all funding students receive, if any, from the Financial Aid Office. Students applying for a stipend, award or scholarship are encouraged to contact the Financial Aid Office directly to discuss their overall financial aid package.