Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Department of Kinesiology

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - Exercise Physiology and Nutrition

Prospective Students

What are the general procedures for applying to the graduate program in Exercise Physiology and Nutrition?

You will need to do two things:

1) You must apply for admission into the University. You can obtain an application form and more information from Enrollment Services.

2) You must also apply separately to the Department of Kinesiology. You will need the following items:

  • Letter of Intent
  • Professional Resume
  • 3 Letters of Recommendation
  • GRE Scores
  • Prerequisite checklist:

Prerequisite Checklist (print):

The exercise of filling out this table will give you insight into the following question: Is this Option right for you? If you don’t have much of the table filled out after completing the exercise, then the Exercise Physiology and Nutrition Option is not right for you.

Name of Applicant_________________________________ Date________________

CSULB Foundational Courses for the Option

Your equivalent courses for the Option

BIOL 207 Human Physiology (4 units)

BIOL 208 Human Anatomy (4 units)

BIOL 260 Biostatistics (3 units)

KIN 300 Biomechanics (3 units)

KIN 301 Exercise Physiology (3 units)

CHEM 111A General Chemistry (5 units)

CHEM 227 Organic Chemistry (3 units)

CHEM 448 Biochemistry (3 units)

NUTR 132 Introductory Nutrition (3 units)

NUTR 331 Fundamentals of Human Nutrition (3 units)

NUTR 436 Advanced Nutrition

These courses serve as a foundation for most courses listed in the Option. Please check the CSULB catalog for prerequisites to these courses.

These items should be sent to:

Graduate Coordinator
Department of Kinesiology
California State University Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, California, 90840, USA

I do not have an undergraduate degree in Kinesiology, what courses must I complete in order to take graduate courses in Exercise Physiology and Nutrition?

See prerequisite course checklist above.

What are the prerequisites for specific courses in the Exercise Physiology and Nutrition Graduate Option?



    KIN 551

    KIN 301* or equivalent & BIOL 207 - prerequisite

    KIN/FCS 566 KIN 301* or equivalent; CHEM 111A or equivalent
    KIN 590 KIN 483 or EDSE 421, EDSE 450f or EDSS 450w
    KIN 696 Undergraduate Major in Kinesiology or Related Field & Statistics course
    KIN 552 KIN 301* & BIOL 207
    KIN 553 KIN 301*
    KIN 562 KIN 300 & KIN 311
    KIN 565 KIN 301* & BIOL 207
    KIN 695 KIN 696 & Advance to Candidacy
    KIN 698 KIN 696 & Advancement to Candidacy

    NUTR 132

    NUTR 331

    NUTR 436


    NUTR 132 & BIOL 207; also NUTR 234 for Dietetics

    NUTR 331* & CHEM 448*
    NUTR 438 NUTR 436*, 438A, 438B
    NUTR 439 NUTR 132 or BIOL 207 or Instructor Consent
    FCS 530A NUTR 436* & 436L
    FCS 530B NUTR 436*; BIOL 260 & NUTR 436L
    FCS 531 NUTR 436*, 436l, & 461
    FCS 696 Upper Division Statistics Course
    FCS 698 FCS 697

    * Check CSULB catalog for prerequisites to these courses.

I do not have some of the foundational course work, is there a provisional acceptance that would allow me to  fulfill those requirements?

You can apply and be accepted into the new Option without having completed all of the foundational course work.  However, you are expected to complete all foundational course work within the first two semesters of graduate study.

On the California State University/Long Beach campus, what is the numbering for lower division, upper division, and graduate courses?

The numbering is as follows:  100-200 for lower-division courses, 300-400 for upper-division courses, 500-600 for graduate courses, and 700 for doctoral coruses.  A course preceded by an asterisk has been approved for graduate credit. 

Can I take the equivalent of CHEM 227 Organic Chemistry at a community college?


Can I take the equivalent of CHEM 448 Fundamental of Biological Chemistry at a community college?

No.  CHEM 448 Fundamentals of Biological Chemistry (called Biochemistry on other campuses) is an upper-division course.  Community colleges only offer lower-division courses.

I have taken a combined organic chemistry/biochemistry course at another university.  Will that combined course satisfy one or both of the foundational course work requirements of CHEM 327 Organic Chemistry and CHEM 448 Fundamentals of Biological Chemistry?


As a first semester graduate student coming to California State University/Long Beach from another campus, will I be able to enroll in the courses I desire or will they be full by the time I try to register for them? 

That is not typically a problem for the new graduate student trying to enroll in graduate courses.  However, there may be some challenge enrolling in undergraduate prerequisite courses because of class enrollment limits.

What is a typical course load for the program?

The typical load is 2-3 courses per semester for the student who is working and taking courses.  The full-time student should be able to take 4 courses per semester. 

What are the due dates for submission of an application for admission into the graduate program?

The due dates for submission of all application materials are June 1st for Fall Semester admission and November 1st for Spring Semester admission.

What information do I need to include in my application to the University?

You must include your completed application, official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended, and your application fees.

What information do I need to include in my application to the Department?

You must include the following:

  • Letter of Intent
  • Professional Resume
  • 3 Letters of Recommendation
  • GRE Scores

What are the minimum GRE scores necessary for admittance into the graduate program?

The minimum GRE scores for admittance into the graduate program are:

Verbal – 150

Quantitative – 141

Analytical Writing – 3.5

What if one of my GRE scores is below the minimum admission standard?

You may still be eligible for admittance into the graduate program. The decision for acceptance is based upon a composite of your GRE scores, undergraduate grade point average, and letters of recommendation.

I am an international student. are the requirements the same for me?

Yes, the requirements for admission in to the graduate program are the same for everyone. However before you apply, you must contact the Office of International Admissions for additional information.

What types of career opportunities are available with a degree in Exercise Physiology and Nutrition?

Career opportunities can typically be found in clinical and research settings as well as in commercial and corporate fitness settings. For more information, check the following sites: