Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Department of Family and Consumer Sciences

Nutrition and Dietetics

Our department offers a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Dietetics and Food Administration, Option in Nutrition and Dietetics with two different concentrations:

  • Concentration #1: Dietetics: Also known as the Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD), this option fulfills the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND) academic requirements to prepare students to become an entry-level registered dietitian nutritionist (known as RD or RDN). The complete steps to becoming an RDN are found here. Study is concentrated in the areas of nutritional science, medical nutrition therapy, community nutrition, nutrition education, food science, food production and management of foodservice operations, chemistry, physiology, plus a variety of supporting coursework in related disciplines. Currently a 3.0 GPA and completion of certain courses is required to be admitted to the major.
  • Concentration #2: Nutritional Science: This concentration prepares students for careers in research, public health, and industry, or serves as a useful science degree while preparing to enter other medical professions (pre-med, physician assistant, etc). Study is concentrated in biology, chemistry, nutritional science, and selected electives.

For more information on becoming a registered dietitian nutritionist, admissions, or transcript evaluation please visit the Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) Home Page prior to contacting a faculty member.

What Does the Field of Nutrition Offer?

Both degree options prepare students for diverse and rewarding careers. Nutrition and dietetics offers a diverse and exciting array of opportunities* in both public and private sectors, such as:    Hands Holding Grapes

  • Providing nutrition-related patient care in hospitals, clinics, rehabilitation centers, and long-term care facilities
  • Supervising and/or providing education to the public through community nutrition programs
  • Overseeing large and small-scale foodservice operations (hotel, military, corporate, prison, catering)
  • Supervising and planning feeding programs in school and child care settings
  • Offering consultation for professional or collegiate athletes in sports nutrition programs
  • Conducting research to inform new discoveries in nutritional science and health
  • Writing and developing nutrition-related media for educational websites, publishers, or media companies
  • Managing corporate wellness programs
  • Offering nutrition counseling through private practice
  • Working as a nutrition content expert for consulting firms
  • Educating future nutrition professionals in university settings through teaching and mentoring
  • Working in non-profit health promotion agencies
  • Regulation of health and food policy in local, state, or federal government settings
  • A variety of opportunities in business/industry (food companies, medical technology, pharmaceuticals, etc.)

* Some career paths, such as becoming a registered dietitian nutritionist (RD or RDN), require continued education beyond an undergraduate degree – see Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) Home Page for more information.

Student Advising

For all scheduling and course-related questions, the CHHS Academic Advising Center offers advising for general education courses (e.g. transfer credits) as well as major-specific advising. We encourage students to check in with CHHS advisors early in the semester and throughout their time at CSULB to ensure timely graduation.

Students are also assigned a Nutrition faculty advisor based on the first letter of their last name (see box to the right) who are available to answer career-related questions and help students explore opportunities for graduate education and employment upon graduation.

Degree Requirements

Students must complete a minimum of 120 units to receive the B.S. degree in Dietetics and Food Administration with an option in Nutrition and Dietetics. In addition to fulfilling general education requirements, a minimum of 40 units in Family and Consumer Sciences is required, 24 of which must be upper division (300-level or greater). Students need to refer to the CSULB Catalog and their CHHS advisor for specific graduation requirements. Students who wish to take the Nutrition and Dietetics Option as a Pre-Professional degree (e.g., pre-med, physician assistant) should check with the appropriate programs to verify specific requirements.

Student Involvement

Extracurricular activities, various internships, and guest speakers provide students with knowledge about the many varied career opportunities in nutrition and dietetics. Activities include networking, attending professional meetings, and on-site tours of various industry facilities, plus more. In addition, students have the opportunity to become involved and take leadership positions in the Student Dietetic Association (SDA), Students Active in Community Health (SACH), and CSULB Food Science Club, and our award-winning Food-ology Radio which broadcasts on 88.1 FM-HD3.

For More Information

More detailed information for current, former, and prospective students can be found on the Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) Home Page.

If you have questions about class enrollment/scheduling, pre-requisites, or other advising questions, contact the CHHS Academic Advising Center first.  For questions about career options, graduate school, and selecting the right major, email your faculty advisor below.

Letter of Your Last Name

Nutrition Faculty Advisor Email Link

A-C Dr. Gail Frank
D-G Dr. Rachel Blaine
H-M Dr. Michelle Barrack
N-R Dr. Virginia Gray
S-Z Dr. Long Wang

Faculty research interests, office hours, and complete contact information can be found here.

FCS Graduate Nutrition Tenure-Track Faculty List .

Choose an advising sheet according to the year you declared Nutrition and Dietetics (Dietetics Concentration) as your major:

Choose an advising sheet according to the year you declared Nutrition and Dietetics (Nutritional Science Concentration) as your major:

University Catalog