Coming Summer 2017! This course, linking Latino health and culture in the contemporary Yucatán Peninsula, is a unique opportunity to learn about factors affecting health and cultural expression in Mayan communities. Students will take classes with guest professors from the Universidad Autónoma de Yucatán in Mérida, the Universidad Intercultural Maya de Quintana, and with experts while visiting biocultural reserves, Caribbean beaches, and UNESCO world heritage sites.
For more information, please contact Dr. Mara Bird | email@example.com | (562) 985-4396.
Classes – Short-Term Study Abroad
- HSC 420 International Health.
- HSC 590 Independent Study
(Development of this study abroad opportunity was sponsored in part by Partners of the Americas 100k Strong in the Americas Initiative.)
- Program Costs: $1850 (not including flight)
- Tuition: $897
- Foreign Travel Insurance: $99
- Associated Students Inc. (ASI) and the Center for International Education: $750 dollar travel stipend. Application due March 13, 2017. Apply
- Career Development Center: $750. See Application criteria below. Application due March 16, 2017. Apply
Career Development Center Scholarship criteria
- Must be a U.S. citizen and currently enrolled student at CSULB in good academic standing.
- Must be selected and agree to participate in the CSU International Programs or the CSULB Direct Exchange Program or the HSC 420 International Health Course.
- Must be a recipient of a Federal Pell Grant (undergraduate) or a State Grant (graduate student).
- Must have parents who have not received a Bachelor’s degree from a college or university.
- Must submit a typed, 2-3 paragraph essay on the following topic:
a) “What attributes or career related skills will you develop or strengthen during your study abroad?” In your essay, please specify the highest level of education completed by each of your parents.
b) Attach a cover sheet that contains: your name, student ID number, phone number, email address, major and country destination.
- Upon return from studying abroad, recipients will be required to give a brief presentation regarding their experience
to the Career Development Center staff.
Submit essay with cover sheet to the Career Development Center, Brotman Hall 250, c/o Cindy Hale, Coordinator, Career Services and Resources or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.