Ph.D., Physics, (plasma physics), University of California,
Irvine California. (Plasma Physics)
M.A. Physics, University of California, Irvine California
M.S. Physics, San Jose State University, San Jose, California
B.S. Geology ( option in Geophysics ), San Jose State University, San Jose, California.
Physics Faculty , California State University , Long Beach,
1981 to present.
Research Scientist and lecturer in physics and astronomy, University of California, Irvine, 1995 to present.
Research Physicist, University of California, Irvine, 1979- 1987.
Consulting Scientist, Maxwell Laborotory, San Diego, California, 1975 - 1976.
Senior Scientist, Nuclear Research Center and Associate professor , Middle East, 1976-1978.
Research: UCI Patent
Patent: Norman Rostoker (UCI), Michl Binderbauer, Artan Qerushi (University of Florida) and Hooshang Tahsiri ( CSULB). US Patent 08/527,124, Australian patent 711,971 and European Patent.
Patent: Norman Rostoker, Michl Binderbauer, Artan Qerushi and Hooshang Tahsiri. Formation of a field reversed configutation for magnetic and electrostatic confinement of plasma. Patent ID: US 7119491-Issue Date:10/10/2006 and Patent ID: US 7180242-Issue Date:02/20/2007.
Patent: Norman Rostoker, Michl Binderbauer, Artan Qerushi and Hooshang Tahsiri. Magnetic and electrostatic confinement of plasma with tuning of electrostatic field. Patent ID: US 439678-Issue Date:21/10/2008.
Workshop in Symbolic Computing and Programming with "Mathematica" (UCI Network Academic Computing Services,May 21,20001)
1) "High Yield fusion in a staged Z-pinch". H.U. Rahman, F.J Wessel, N. Rostoker, Journal of Plasma Physics, pp.1-20, (2009).
2) "The Physics of Fast Z Pinches" , D. D. Ryutov, Lawrence National Lab, and J. M.S. Derzon, M.K. Matzen, Sandia National Lab, Review of Modern Physics, Vol. 72 , No. 1, January 2000 ( Text: pages 199 and 222 ).
3) "Fast Magnetic Field Penetration into a Plasma Beam", Ron Armel and Norman Rostoker, Physics of Plasma, 3, 7, July 1996.
4) "Implosions, Equilibria, and Stability of Rotating, Radiating Z-pinch Plasmas" , A. L. Velikovich, J. Davis, Physics of plasma, 2, 12, 1995.
5) "Suppression of Rayleigh-Taylor instability by the Snowplow Mechanism", S. M. Goldberg, A. l. Velikovich, Physics of plasma, 5, 18, (1992).
Awards: The Knight Foundations NSF Grants. "Collaborative Grant Development Program Award", College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, California State University Long Beach.
H.Tahsiri and A. Ghahremanpour
Department of Physics and Astronomy, California State University,
Long Beach, California 90840
Abstract: Experiments at the University of California, Irvine indicate that a neutralized ion beam (NIB) propagates across a magnetic field in a time scale of less than 1 s without a significant deflection. It is shown for a constant beam density, the nonlinear and the linear diffusion times are too fast and too slow respectively to account for the observed diffusion time. If there is a component of magnetic field normal to the surface of the beam, the Hall term becomes important and the magnetic field penetrates as dispersive whistler waves. For a constant beam density, the penetration time scales with the whistler time rather than the classical diffusion time. A one-dimensional computational calculation, using a Gaussian density profile, shows that as the magnetic field penetrates from a low to a high density region, the magnetic field amplitude grows at a slower rate in comparison with a uniform plasma peak density.Click for full text.
1) Rayleigh-Taylor Instability of an Accelerated Metal Shell, (with N. Rostoker), Bulletin of Americal Physical Society, Vol. 19, 868, October 1974.
2) Rayleigh-Taylor Instability for Impulsively Accelerated Shells,Ó (with N. Rostoker), Comments on plasma Physics Cont. Fusion 3, 39, 1977.
3) End plugging of a hot linear pinch, (with H. Azodi, M. Naraghi,
and A. Torabi-Fard), Proc. IAEA Seventh international Conference
on plasma physics and
Controlled nuclear Fusion Research, Innsbruck, Austria (1979).
4) Rayleigh-Taylor Instability for Impulsively Accelerated
Shells, A Perspective of Physics,Vol. 2, Selections from 1977
comments on Modern physics
introduced and put into perspective by Sir Rudolph peierls, Chap. E, gorden and Breach Science Publishers (1978).
5) Semihydrodynamics Theory for ion Separation and Stability
in a multi-ion Species Z-Pinch, (with H. U. Rahman, P. Amendt
and N. Rostoker, Proceedings
of the first conference on Dense Z-Pinches for Fusion, March 29 and 30, 1984, Alexandria, VA, U.S.A
6) Possible Soft X-Ray Laser Based on A Theta-pinch,(with A. Fisher, N. Rostoker, M. Strauss), Plasma Physics Division of the American Physical society , Anaheim, California, Nov 13-17, 1989.
8) Computer Algebra Software on Mathematica and Maple , A Leadership Development Workshop at the United State Air Force Academy, Colorado Spring, Co, July 11-23,1993.
9) Spin Control of the Rayleigh-Taylor Instability in a High Density pinch, (with N. Rostoker, G. G. Peterson), in Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on High-power particle beams, 20-24 , June 1994, San Diego, CA, p. 773).
10) Spin Control of the Rayleigh-Taylor instability in a High Density pinch,(with N. Rostoker, G. G. Peterson), Comments on plasma Physics. Controlled Fusion Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 129-140, 1995.
Back to front page