Welcome to Middle School Teaching Resources
These lessons have been designed by middle school teachers. The teacher-authors of the lessons have followed a standard format, which we hope you will find helpful.
Each lesson is organized as follows:
- Lesson title
- Overview: This section contains a brief overview of the lesson, including a list of the materials needed, the time suggested for completing it, and the standards the lesson meets.
- Historical background and bibliography: This section offers a brief introduction to the historical context and key developments, with a bibliography of recommended readings for instructors and students.
- Guiding questions: This section provides the esential question that guides student learning throughout the lesson and the answer to which meets the lesson's learning objective.
- Learning objectives: The learning objectives are oriented to student achievement and outline the student outcomes for each lesson.
- Activities: This section provides a description of how teachers direct each lesson and how students perform and complete various activities.
- Assessment: This section suggests methods of assessment for each lesson and culminating activities.
- Extending the lesson: This section provides a list of additional activities and recommendations of helpful websites.