Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a font sizeSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font


Financial Assistance

Installment Plans

Partial payments are accepted only with an approved installment agreement. A non-refundable administrative fee and a down payment are required to sign up for Installment Plans. Inquire at Cashier's Office, BH 148.

Eligibility Requirements

  • You do not have a past due balance for a prior term.
  • You are admitted for the term.
  • You are not awarded Financial Aid for the term.
  • You have not already paid your Registration Fees / Non-Resident Fees for the term.

Installment payments are accepted only with an APPROVED installment agreement. A non-refundable administrative fee is charged to sign up for Installment Plans.  The Installment Plan is normally paid in three or four installments over three months. 

Failure to complete the payment schedule does not result in disenrollment in the current semester, however students will be charged an additional fee and will not be able to enroll for the next semester until the balance is paid in full.

The Office of Financial Aid

The office provides financial and advisory assistance to enable students to pursue a quality education. It administers funds that are awarded to students who demonstrate a need to cover educational expenses. Most funds administered by the Financial Aid Office are made available by the Federal and State governments, and by private sources, and require proof of US citizenship or legal residency. This information is verified with the Federal government to ensure proper use of Federal and State funds. Unprotected immigrant students are not currently eligible for any federal aid. However, effective January 1, 2012, AB 130 was passed into law making scholarships available to AB 540 students. On January 1, 2013, AB 540 students will be eligible to apply for State financial aid.

Students that are in the process of becoming legal citizens may be eligible for Federal funds depending on their status. If a student has filed a US residency application, he or she will receive an I-797 Notice of Action letter from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS). At this point, the student can begin the financial aid application process. Students become eligible for financial aid upon receipt of notification that their status has changed to one of the following:

  1. A US permanent resident (I-551)
  2. A conditional permanent resident (I-55C)
  3. A holder of an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) indicating a refugee, asylum granted, or parolee.

Students are eligible to receive financial aid retroactively for an entire aid year as long as US residency status is established within that aid year. The obtaining of one of these statutes would also allow the student to establish California Residency for tuition purposes. However, residency for tuition purposes cannot be applied retroactively.

Scholarships for AB 540 Students

AB 540 students can apply for any scholarship that does not require U.S. citizenship and/or state residency.

On-campus Scholarship Information

The Center for Scholarship Information, located in the University Student Union 238, provides: advising on the scholarship application process; access to a scholarship database containing information for on and off-campus scholarships; proofing of scholarship applications, personal statements and essays; access to the Internet and a typewriter. The Center also administers several scholarship programs and generates funds for scholarships. For more information, see their website or call (562) 985-2549.  Students may also visit the Financial Aid Office regarding scholarships at BH 101, (562) 985-8403:

Off-Campus Scholarship Websites