The 2011 Women’s Research Colloquium
Sponsored by the President’s Commission on the Status of Women
Call for Presentation Abstracts
The deadline for submission is Friday, January 7, 2011 at 5 p.m. An earlier submission is encouraged since only the first 25 abstracts received will be reviewed.
About the Colloquium
The Women’s Research Colloquium, a signature event of the President’s Commission on the Status of Women (PCSW), will be held April 13, 2011 from 5:00 – 7:30 p.m. at the Pointe in the Walter Pyramid on the CSULB campus. The dinner event features two selected research presentations and discussions of them.
The purpose of the Women’s Research Colloquium is to learn about research done by women and/or research related to women’s issues and concerns. The presentations should be developed for a general audience of CSULB faculty, students, staff and community guests who represent a wide variety of disciplines. The presentations should be no longer than 20 minutes and should emphasize results rather than methodology.
The Submission Process
All staff and faculty members of the CSULB campus community are invited to submit a proposal of a presentation for review. Each submission should consist of two separate files: the Cover Sheet and the Presentation Abstract.
- The Cover Sheet should include the following information as it would appear in the program if the presentation were selected: (a) The presentation title, (b) the presenter’s name, title and department, and (c) a short biography (approximately 150 words).
- The Presentation Abstract should include: (a) the presentation title, (b) a summary of the research and how it will be presented (approximately 250 words), (c) a paragraph explaining how the presentation relates to, or supports, the mission of the PCSW and the purpose of the Women’s Research Colloquium, and (d) an indication of the college or colleges with which the research is most closely aligned. In order to facilitate blind reviewing, no identifying information about the proposer should appear in the abstract.
Each file must be submitted as an e-mail attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please place “PCSW Cover” or “PCSW Abstract” in the subject line. Attachments must be in MS Word (.doc or .docx) or as a PDF (.pdf).
The Evaluation of Submissions
The two presenters will be chosen by the PCSW Colloquium Committee after a blind review. Abstracts will be evaluated on the basis of:
- The quality of the presentation suggested
- How the presentation relates to, or supports, the mission of the PCSW and the purpose of the
Women’s Research Colloquium
- Whether the presentation is developed with the Colloquium audience in mind.
The President’s Commission on the Status of Women represents all women and women-identified students, staff, faculty and administrators at California State University, Long Beach. The mission of the PCSW is to:
- Serve as a liaison between the President’s Office and the University community;
- Advise the President’s Office and the campus community on policies and practices of concern to, and affecting, women’s opportunity, full participation, and advancement at CSULB;
- Initiate, advocate, implement, and support actions that address the concerns of CSULB women;
- Promote identification of the needs of campus women and encourage the University to respond to those needs by removing inequities and by providing a supportive educational, working and social environment for women;
- Advocate for the enhanced status of campus women and continually provide and support opportunities for their equal and fair treatment.
For More Information
We encourage all interested applicants to visit the PCSW website for information about the PCSW and the Colloquium. Past presenters are also listed there.
For additional information please contact Betsy Decyk (email@example.com) or Ami Rzasa (firstname.lastname@example.org).