Employee of the Month: José U Carvajal

Published: July 1, 2015

José U Carvajal was recently selected as employee of the month by his peers in Information Technology Services (ITS).

Carvajal, who serves as an information technology consultant in ITS, was recognized in a special ceremony held near the University Student Union on Friendship Walk on June 24 which was renamed in his honor for the month.

Now in his fourth year at CSULB, Carvajal began as an emergency hire in 2011 and was hired into a full-time position in 2012. Prior to that he worked part-time in the Data Center on campus and for EXPERIAN, one of the major credit bureaus in Costa Mesa.

As part of his current duties he assists individuals in solving computer hardware and software issues as well as helping with mobile device connections to the campus’ wireless network and e-mail system.

“José is very conscientious and hard-working and lends a helping hand to all who ask,” said President Jane Close Conoley. “He is very thoughtful in his approach to both his co-workers and campus staff, and takes great pride in his work.”

Carvajal said was in completely caught off guard by his selection.

“I thought it was a joke. I was really surprised,” he said. “I like to think that I was recognized because I do my job well, and people do appreciate that little extra help. Also the people I work with, make it easy to enjoy my job.”

A resident of Santa Ana, in his spare time Carvajal likes to ride his bike, go to the beach with his wife Doris, his daughter Carina and dog, listen to music, watch movies and fix things around the house.

Carvajal will receive several gifts including an Employee of the Month certificate, a framed picture with President Conoley, a CSULB sweatshirt, dinner for two at Domenico’s Italian Restaurant in Long Beach, four admissions to the 2015 Festival of the Arts and two free Original Whopper sandwiches from Burger King.

–Shayne Schroeder

José U Carvajal
PHOTO BY MANFONG IEONG
José Carvajal (l) with President Jane Close Conoley.