Employee Of The Month: Al Camacho

Published: April 1, 2015

Al Camacho, a quality assurance (QA) analyst, was named by his peers in Human Resources Management recently as employee of the month.

Camacho was recognized in a special ceremony held near the University Student Union on Friendship Walk which was renamed for the month as Al Camacho Lane.

CSULB President Jane Close Conoley applauded Camacho’s distinction for his willingness to step in when the need arises.

“Al Camacho is a valuable and essential member of the Human Resources Management team,” she said. “He is always willing to answer questions in or out of his assigned workload. He is easygoing, friendly, polite and always maintains good working relationships with his co-workers and the campus community.”

Camacho felt privileged and honored to be named employee of the month.

“I think one reason I was recognized was the way I try to get along with everybody,” said Camacho, who joined Payroll and Benefits as a Payroll Technician in 1994. “I basically help with whatever needs doing across many different departments. I am willing to do anything, even work over time, if it means getting the job done by deadline.”

Camacho relies on constant training to stay current on CSU policies and procedures.

“Basically, we work hard to make sure that all documents are complete and the data is accurate,” he said. “We are especially busy at the beginning of every semester. “

His responsibilities include processing the personnel transaction forms for the staff and faculty members which includes processing hires (new and re-hires), appointment changes, position changes, retirements, separations, pay rate changes, reclasses, probation actions, paid and unpaid leaves and any personal data changes.

Camacho’s road to CSULB began as a payroll technician at Mullikin Medical Centers when he saw an advertisement in a local newspaper about an opening on campus.

“I’ve always been a fan of CSULB, even when I was a student at Artesia High School in Lakewood,” he recalled. His CSU connection continues with Camacho and his wife Tricia already sending their son Alex to Cal State Fullerton and their youngest son Adrian who plans to attend San Diego State in August.

Camacho’s goal now is to stay informed about the changing demands of high technology. “We all undergo constant training,” he said. “We discuss our training and explore all its meanings.”

x

PHOTO BY MICHAEL SULLIVAN
President Jane Close Conoley (l) with Al Camacho.

He remembers plenty of changes when he first arrived at CSULB. “When I first came on board in Payroll, I had a chance to use what I had learned in the private sector only to throw it right out the window,” he laughed. “Working for the CSU is totally different from anything I’ve done before. But once I grasped the difference, I began to see CSULB as its own tiny city.”

Camacho enjoys his working environment. “There aren’t many of us in our area but the behind-the-scenes work we do is very important,” he said. “We are the glue between Staff HR/Faculty Affairs and Payroll Services for the PeopleSoft system.”

When he isn’t working to keep CSULB running well, Camacho enjoys watching mixed martial arts (MMA), building Apache helicopter models and learning how to play the ukulele.

Camacho is glad he made the choice to join CSULB. “I’m working hard to keep rising and working for more responsibility,” he said. “I’ve always liked this campus and I see no reason to change my opinion.”

Camacho received several recognitions in his naming ceremony including a CSULB sweatshirt, a champagne Sunday brunch for two aboard the Queen Mary, admission to a performance by Stacy Sullivan at the Richard and Karen Carpenter Performing Arts Center and a gift certificate for a Tommy’s combo.