Griffith Named Top Employee

Published: December 2, 2014

Meghan Griffith, assistant director of academic advising and articulation systems in CSULB’s Office of Enrollment Services, was named by her co-workers recently as employee of the month. Griffith was recognized in a special ceremony held near the University Student Union on Friendship Walk which was renamed for the month as Meghan Griffith Lane.

CSULB president Jane Close Conoley applauded Griffith’s recognition. “Meghan has worked tirelessly and with great determination to coordinate the complexities of the degree planner implementation,” said Conoley. “She maintains a positive attitude and has a get-it-done spirit. She always gives 150 percent yet is willing to lend a hand to those in her department.”

Griffith is pleased to be named employee of the month. “I feel extremely lucky to be honored by my peers in Enrollment Services,” she said. “It is a place where everyone works tirelessly and I feel very humbled and honored to be recognized in such company.”

Griffith feels one reason for her recognition is simple hard work. “I try to contribute to the team as much as anyone as we work on various projects, including the new multi-year degree planner for which I am functional lead. I feel extremely lucky to work with the people I do,” she said.

As assistant director of academic advising and articulation systems, Griffith is responsible for lending support to different advising systems across campus. “In our new degree planner project, students and advisors will be able to track and plan for the academic requirements remaining before graduation,” she explained. “This is a multi-year planning tool that allows students to individualize a recommended plan to complete all remaining graduation requirements. The hope is that students and advisors will be empowered with this tool as they pursue a pathway towards timely graduation.”

Griffith especially enjoys the level of collaboration that exists among her degree planner team. “It’s a campus-wide effort that reaches from Enrollment Services to the advising community to Academic Affairs,” she said. “There are a lot of different players and it is my responsibility to help lead the functional team that performs the analysis and coding of requirements.”

Griffith first arrived on campus in 2004 to play on the university’s women’s basketball team. She went on to graduate from CSULB with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history in 2007. She completed her Master of Arts in Education with an option in social and cultural analysis of education in 2011.

Griffith looks back fondly on her junior and senior years spent playing basketball for CSULB. “In my senior year, we were co-Big West Conference champions,” she recalled. “I was born in this area, I love the beach, and I have always liked this campus. When I found myself facing life after basketball, my advisor from student athlete services suggested a career on campus. I applied and began in 2006 in Enrollment Services as an administrative support assistant, moving up the ranks to my current position as an analyst/programmer.”

X
PHOTO BY DAVID J. NELSON
President Jane Close Conoley (l) and Meghan Griffith

What she felt in 2004 and what she feels even more today is that CSULB is an amazing campus where she evolved from a student-athlete to an employee-student to a full-time employee. “It is an exciting place that never ceases to amaze me,” she said. “This is truly a special place.”

Griffith received several gifts including a CSULB sweatshirt, a framed picture with President Conoley, a gift certificate for a Tommy’s combo, a $25 gift card for Olive Garden and two tickets to Bettman and Halpin at the Carpenter Performing Arts Center.

–Richard Manly