Employee of the Month: Kristina Hancock

Published: November 3, 2014

Kristina Hancock, executive assistant to College of Education Dean Marquita Grenot-Scheyer, was named recently by her co-workers as Employee of the Month.

CSULB President Jane Close Conoley praised Hancock’s contributions to the campus community.

“Kristina has brought a new level of professionalism to the dean’s office in the college, interacting with constituents in a kind and caring manner,” she said. “Kristina is the ‘go-to’ person for information and/or support. She always manages to balance the million-and-one tasks on her plate with ease and a smile. Kristina does an amazing job organizing everything from small departmental meetings to commencement.”

Hancock saw Friendship Walk near the University Student Union renamed Kristina Hancock Lane in her honor for the month of October and she was excited to be recognized.

“I feel very honored to be named employee of the month,” she said. “It is a great feeling to be recognized by all the staff I work with.”

Hancock’s responsibilities include managing the dean’s schedule, organizing meetings and events, and serving as the social media coordinator for the college. “If there are any administrative tasks, I handle them,” she said. “I also coordinate the college’s commencement.”

She feels one reason for her distinction is her office’s open-door policy to the rest of the College of Education.

“This office is open to all faculty and staff members who need help,” she said. “I help coordinate most of the college-wide events.”

She first joined CSULB in 2008 with a brief stint in the Department of Administration and Finance. She left CSULB to complete her master’s degree in secondary education and teaching credential in 2009 at the University of Phoenix then worked in the private sector for several years before returning to CSULB in 2011.

One of the best things about Hancock’s job, she believes, is the quality of the people with whom she works.

“I’m very pleased to work in this office,” she said. “I work with great people. Everyone here is very friendly. We have a family here. We love to help each other. I feel I can go to any office, ask for help and get it. When it comes time for commencement, everyone jumps to help. Last year, there were 24 volunteer staff members who helped. In this office, everyone does that.”

X
PHOTO BY MICHAEL SULLIVAN
President Jane Conoley (l) and Kristina Hancock

Hancock has a strong family connection to CSULB. Her two high-school-age daughters, Jordan and Jessica, often accompany her to campus to enjoy a baseball or softball game. Her husband Joe is a student at CSULB working on his education specialist credential which he hopes to finish by 2018. Her daughter-in-law Jasmine is enrolled in CSULB’s Liberal Studies program and her mother Jeanene Berumen is the campus senior manager of payroll.

Hancock is glad she made the choice to join CSULB. “It has worked out great,” she said. “I feel happy every day that I was picked to work here.”

Hancock received several gifts including an Employee of the Month certificate, a framed picture with the president, a CSULB sweatshirt, two tickets to the performance of Carole J. Bufford Body and Soul at the Carpenter Performing Arts Center, a $25 gift card to Lucille’s Smokehouse BBQ and two certificates for Tommy’s Original World Famous Hamburgers.

–Richard Manly