Lifestyle Expert To Speak

Published: October 1, 2014

Chris Balish, the bestselling author of the book How to Live Well Without Owning a Car: Save Money, Breathe Easier, and Get More Mileage Out of Life, will be the keynote speaker at the Rideshare Week at the University Student Union Ballroom on Monday, Oct. 6, at 11:45 a.m. A free lunch will be provided at noon and Balish’s talk will run from 12:15-12:45 p.m.

Balish is an expert in alternative transportation, car-free commuting, active lifestyles and reducing car use. He will discuss the many benefits of sustainable transportation modes such as car/vanpooling, public transit, biking and walking.

“I am not ‘anti-car,’” said Balish, who has been car-free for more than 10 years, including eight years in Los Angeles. “I’m not out to rid the world of cars and I don’t want to be perceived as a car-basher. I’ve had some of the best times in my life in cars. I think automobiles are incredibly useful tools and I use them frequently. When I need one, I rent one or use car sharing. I just don’t own one. And the result is a savings of nearly $10,000 every year, and tons of toxic tailpipe emissions. Tens of millions of Americans could just as easily live car-free or ‘car-lite’ and when I say ‘car-lite’ I mean owning a car but using it less.”

Balish is a seven-time Emmy Award-winning broadcast journalist who spent the last 10 years as a news anchor, reporter and TV host in Cincinnati, St. Louis and Los Angeles.

He has been featured on more than 800 radio and TV stations, and in more than 140 magazines and newspapers, including CNN, Newsweek, ABC News, MSNBC, National Public Radio, Forbes, The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Boston Globe, The Chicago Tribune and Variety.

Chris Balish
Chris Balish

Rideshare Week is an annual nation-wide effort to increase awareness about the benefits of using sustainable transportation and as a university, CSULB plays a special role in society as educators, future graduates and leaders.

To learn more about alternate transportation or rideshare opportunities at CSULB, visit the Rideshare@The Beach website.

–Shayne Schroeder