Bishop Named Top Employee

Published: October 1, 2014

Cathy Bishop, an administrative analyst specialist–exempt II and a member of the university since 1992, was named by her co-workers in the Division of Financial Management as employee of the month.

Bishop was recognized in a special ceremony held near the University Student Union on friendship Walk which was renamed for the month of September as Cathy Bishop Lane.

CSULB’s new president Jane Close Conoley applauded Bishop’s recognition.

“Cathy is very dedicated and plays a vital role in the day-to-day operations of the Purchasing Office,” she said. “Her co-workers credit her with being a great leader, always being positive, cheerful and professional. She always helps out when someone needs a hand.”

Bishop was pleased and surprised to be named employee of the month. “This is an honor and a privilege,” she said. “I was lucky to join CSULB. I first arrived from a temp agency after years of working in the aerospace industry. But once I came to CSULB. I loved it, the environment and the students. There is nothing like working at a university, being surrounded by youth and knowledge.”

Bishop first joined the Purchasing Department 22 years ago as a Buyer I where she has remained advancing to administrative analyst specialist–exempt II as well as acquireing her Lifetime Purchasing Manager Certification. As an analyst specialist, she explained, her responsibilities include overseeing the purchasing buyers who as a team obtain items the campus needs to operate including everything from lab equipment, furniture, information technology, to construction contracts.

“It is up to the buyers to purchase everything you can imagine which takes a skillset of attention to detail, requires being technologically savvy, and most of all understanding the customer needs,” she said. “I’m responsible for daily buyer assignments, customer follow up, as well as attending meetings on behalf of the department. I do my best to offer support and guidance whenever needed and I couldn’t do it without the support the buyer team, administrative staff and campus peers.”

X
Cathy Bishop (l) with President Jane Close Conoley.

She enjoys the campus resources and has been a familiar face at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, however, she plans to take a closer look at the new Life Fit Center. “I love practicing Yoga, traveling, bike riding at the beach and spending time with family and friends.”

Bishop received several gifts including a CSULB sweatshirt, a framed picture with President Conoley, a $25 gift certificate for Domenico’s Italian Restaurant, two gift certificates for Tommy’s Original World Famous Hamburgers and a $10 gift card for Target.

–Richard Manly