California State University, Long Beach
Inside CSULB Logo

Workers’ Compensation Update

Published: October 15, 2012

Workers’ Compensation, mandated and regulated by the state of California Labor Code, provides medical and income benefits to employees injured on the job or who become ill because of a job-related condition.

By law, employees may choose to be treated by their personal physicians rather than the industrial carrier provided by the university. However, employees must file a Predesignation of Personal Physician form with the Workers’ Compensation Specialist prior to any illness or injury. You may be treated for such injury or illness by your personal medical doctor or doctor of osteopathic medicine if:

• Your employer offers group health coverage;

• The doctor is your regular physician, who shall be either a physician who has limited their practice of medicine to general practice or is board-certified or board-eligible internist, pediatrician, obstetrician-gynecologist, or family practitioner who has previously directed your medical treatment, and retains your medical records;

• Prior to the injury, your doctor agrees to treat you for work-related injuries or illnesses;

• Prior to the injury, you provided your employer the following in writing: (1) notice that you want your personal doctor to treat you for a work-related injury or illness, (2) and your doctor’s name and business address.

Also, you may choose to give notice of a personal chiropractor or personal acupuncturist.

You may be able to change your treating physician to your personal chiropractor or acupuncturist following a work-related injury or illness. In order to be eligible to make this change, you must give your employer the name and business address of a personal chiropractor or acupuncturist in writing prior to the injury or illness. Your claims administrator generally has the right to select your treating physician within the first 30 days after your employer knows of your injury or illness. After your claims administrator has initiated your treatment with another doctor during this period, you may then, upon request, have your treatment transferred to your personal chiropractor or acupuncturist.

The Predesignation of Personal Physician form and the notice of personal chiropractor or personal acupuncturist can be found online through the Human Resources Management website, under Workers’ Compensation in the forms section. Employees unable to access this form through the website should contact Cheryl Velasco at 562/985-2366.